inTank Media Baskets

Bonsai SPS

Jaden1592

I had the idea to create a piece of coral in the shape of a bonsai tree. In my recent trial I found that trimming back the skeleton too close to the body (trunk) can shatter from the pressure of the clippers. I was still able to create the bonsai and was pleased with the result. I am interested to see how it will grow because of the large crop of coral at the top and small trunk lead up to it. I wonder if it will become thicker in order to prevent breakage or if it is just going to sprout more sps branches from there.

I followed the same directions in my beginning horticulture textbook on the bonsai tree section to achieve results. Please let me know what you think.

post-59449-0-43716300-1405652702_thumb.jpeg

post-59449-0-78061600-1405652725_thumb.jpeg

post-59449-0-43315000-1405652761_thumb.jpeg

post-59449-0-38878000-1405652770_thumb.jpeg

post-59449-0-88303100-1405652790_thumb.jpeg

Polarcollision

I've thought about doing this very same thing to a green birdsnest. Will you tell us more about what shatteres branches? I've never fragged an SPS and don't really want to break the whole thing up on accident. Kinda thinking of using a dremel for thicker branches.

Looks great with the goal you had in mind! Are you fragging the pieces for future bonsai garden?

OOO... maybe:) I think I just want to make this one coral a masterpiece

I've thought about doing this very same thing to a green birdsnest. Will you tell us more about what shatteres branches? I've never fragged an SPS and don't really want to break the whole thing up on accident. Kinda thinking of using a dremel for thicker branches.

yep. a dremel would be brilliant - I used fragging clippers but the sudden "clip" rattles the skeleton. I had to cut away from the main trunk while taking caution not to cut too close. With that being said, a true bonsai is cut extremely close so your dremel would be ideal.

Polarcollision

OOO... maybe:) I think I just want to make this one coral a masterpiece

yep. a dremel would be brilliant - I used fragging clippers but the sudden "clip" rattles the skeleton. I had to cut away from the main trunk while taking caution not to cut too close. With that being said, a true bonsai is cut extremely close so your dremel would be ideal.

At the rate this thing grows, I'll have to do something withing a month or two. Picturing a waterfall-type bonsai shape so there's more light for nearby corals. BTW, if you get a break in a bird where you don't want it, just superglue it back together. In a few weeks it's completely grown back together.

• 1 month later...

Archived