Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to Get rid of this unique algae

nemonlizzy

I've been using the Aquavitro brand (its what my LFS has), but I'm thinking about switching to ESV or the bulkreefsupply bulk stuff and mixing my own. Would be cheaper. My dosing schedule is about every couple days right now. I'm sure once everything really takes off that I will have to start thinking about dosing pumps or going to kalkwasser.

Apexlaxfrog

The 2 part dosing mixture I bought from my LFS is HORRIBLE, the day after I dosed I had a dKH of 5 and a Ca+ of 450.

When did that happen? IMO a large drop in dKH would probably induce enough stress to kill your mollusks... AND allow the coralline to lose the battle against an invasive algae.

I'd start with increasing dKH (as recommended previously), stabilizing the big three (KH, Ca, Mg), THEN focus on excising the pest. Also, increasing Mg MIGHT help slow the algal growth while giving the coralline a leg up again? As far as dosing goes... I think most brands do a decent job, but ESV comes to mind as 'preferred'. Just my .02... good luck!

EDIT: Look into fungal remedies (like in this thread). That's kind of what the picy looks like... plus, you mentioned it didn't really respond to a blackout treatment...

dKH is definitely the answer I think: after our negative experiences with low dKH and my good experience with high dKH. Just get it up there(slowly) and I'm sure you'll see a difference.

Thanks! I'll try doing this with the dosing mixtures I have, I just don't trust them very much anymore after the first incident. This sudden drop in dKh happened about 3 weeks or a month ago, right when the algae showed up. I completely agree, this algae is being assisted by my unstable ions. I will do what I can with what I've got. Perhaps I need to purchase a Mg+ dosing mixture. The one at my local LFS is just a bag of powder I mix myself and costs $35. The guy there said I would probably need to use the whole bag for just one dose on my 65 gal... The more I talk to him the more I think he's an idiot...

Archived