Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Interest in a site to buy/sell frags?

jabeuy

Interest in a site to buy/sell frags?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a site for selling and buying frags locally?

• Yes
    • No

Hey everyone,

I just got into the hobby recently, and now have a 10g nano with a couple pieces of coral. I was driving around a few days ago looking for a hammer to add, but came up empty.

There are a lot of online stores, but shipping is a killer! Looking around local forums, I saw people selling frags, but all I saw were mostly zoas, chalices and sps. Nothing I was looking for. Listings on local forums/classifieds work, but doesn't seem ideal if you're looking for something in particular (they just post pics of what they have to sell).

I also happen to be a web developer, so I got to thinking, why isn't there a site specific to corals, where people can list their frags for sale. After some research I came across frags.org, but it seems pretty dead now. There are some current listings, but doesn't seem to be too active. Does anyone know why that is?

So with that said, I wanted to gauge some interest in a revamped, modernized, local frags.org-like site.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- In simplest form: marketplace for hobbyists selling frags (like a craigslist/kijiji specific to corals/frags)

- Organized, with a uniform set of pics (side view/top view, etc.) you need to take to post a listing. This way you can compare pictures of frags you're interested in/looking for.

- wysiwyg

- measurements of frags

- can search by location (to look for ppl near you that are selling)

- seller ratings

For example:

1. searching for hammer coral frag in Toronto
  2. brings up all listings for that search, with their pictures in a table, so you can easily compare them
  3. then you can get in contact with seller (like kijiji/craigslist)

Why not just keep using local classifieds?

- Why do ppl use AirBnB? Things are more organized and presented neatly there, and the site is specific to the things you might need/want (as a renter)

- Why not have this for our reef enthusiasts as well?

So, are people interested in a site like this for us reefers?

And also, why does frags.org not seem as active anymore?

Thanks!

Archived