Coral Vue Hydros

Which razor?

Skuba

I have a 27g cube 18x20x20 mixed reef. Looking to upgrade from my sol blue, wasn't really considering a razor until I read reviews on how great the spectrum was. Now I'm considering it. My question is I know the nano says it covers 24x24. But would that be enough to grow sps, or would the 20" 120w be better for me? I'm thinking the bigger could have advantages like being able to use on a bigger tank and being able to run a more blue look at late day without sacrificing intensity.

jedimasterben

The 60w unit with the wide reflectors would at least light the area, but you'd probably want the 20" unit with the wide reflectors for better coverage/more power in more places.

The 60w unit with the wide reflectors would at least light the area, but you'd probably want the 20" unit with the wide reflectors for better coverage/more power in more places.

Honestly Ben, one of the reasons I started considering a razor was a post you made saying its the only off the shelf system you would use since you seem to be the authority on LEDs lol. I'm still torn since I was pretty set on a nb duo. But for the price I see a 3 month old one up for sale it's very tempting. I don't use the weather features so don't need much besides a few timers to adjust the spectrum throughout the day.

jedimasterben

The Duo would light the area about as well as the 60w R420R, but a little better since the LEDs are spaced out a little bit more and they use no lenses. It would be no contest versus the 120w R420R, though. The Duo is strong, but not that strong lol.

The Duo would light the area about as well as the 60w R420R, but a little better since the LEDs are spaced out a little bit more and they use no lenses. It would be no contest versus the 120w R420R, though. The Duo is strong, but not that strong lol.

So my statements about being better off with the 120 for color adjustments with still having plenty of par are accurate?

I think the duo is a better buy for your size tank - and while I know the longer R420Rs have great spectrums, I've heard mixed things about the R240R nano.

masterbuilder

The 20" Razor would most likely be the better choice given you want high light corals and the possibility of an even larger tank.

As other have mentioned....there are other LED fixtures out there that will work just as well. To be honest its getting to the point with quality LED fixtures that aesthetics and service is the only difference.

Out if curiosity, the 160w is 27" long but looks like the 3 pucks are within the 20", so other than the it will stick out 3.5" on the sides would that be a option?

I think the duo is a better buy for your size tank - and while I know the longer R420Rs have great spectrums, I've heard mixed things about the R240R nano.

i love Dave's lights and fully intend to do another build with his light and the bluefish controller, but for rite now I'm impatient and want a new light already lol. Plus the $ I save can upgrade some other stuff on my tank.

Actually found a 120w razor unopened for 325 but the guy lives a little over a hour from me so I'm undecided if I feel like making the trip.

Archived