Cultivated Reef

What's this on my duncan coral?!?

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

So, while looking in the tank today, I noticed this on my duncan corals. They're yellow little "dots" around the base of the polyp.

post-50769-0-17373100-1404090922_thumb.jpg

Fishgirl2393

Anyone? I have asterina stars so could they be eggs? Whatever they are, they've been irritating the polyps so I'd like to know what they are. Help!

A better picture would help but they're possibly colonial tunicates. I have a large mass of them around the base of my hammer.

Fishgirl2393

A better picture would help but they're possibly colonial tunicates. I have a large mass of them around the base of my hammer.

They look kinda fuzzy and are not hard. I know the pic is not amazing but my camera won't get much closer even on "macro" mode.

Fishgirl2393

I got rid of them (they were soft/mushy) and one colony of the duncans looks better. The other colony looks like one head (of two) was seriously damaged from them (they were RIGHT next to the head). Do you think I have predatory asterina stars? The eggs look like some of the pics when I googled.

Fishgirl2393

I'm likely going to be gone for some of the weekend (starting Wednesday or early Thursday) so I really need to know what this is so I can take care of it ASAP.

Fishgirl2393

A sponge

It's irritating the coral. What do I do? I've tried to remove it but it comes back.

I also added some carbon since I figure it's POSSIBLE the coral is just upset with the other corals in the tank or something. But, if it is a sponge, how do I remove it?

Also, it's on BOTH the duncan colonies (on opposite sides of the tank) so do you think it's a sponge still (I don't know so I'm asking)?

BattleAthletics

It's irritating the coral. What do I do? I've tried to remove it but it comes back.

I also added some carbon since I figure it's POSSIBLE the coral is just upset with the other corals in the tank or something. But, if it is a sponge, how do I remove it?

Also, it's on BOTH the duncan colonies (on opposite sides of the tank) so do you think it's a sponge still (I don't know so I'm asking)?

I don't know either!!! It was a guess!!!

Go ahead and dip it in revive to see if it comes up.

Fishgirl2393

I wasn't mad (or upset). I just wondered. I am at a loss on this one. I've done a lot of searches, found some similar cases and none of them have a conclusion (either people didn't respond or they never found out what it was and the coral either died or recovered).

Fishgirl2393

I think it's brown jelly. I've lost two out of four heads (the small ones). The others look good but who knows. I'm not home for a few days so there is nothing I can do... :(

Fishgirl2393

Like I said, I'm not home now but when I left, the two little heads on the corals (one on each) had died and become "brown jelly" which is why I think that's what this is. :( The other heads look good but I know they may not make it (but I'm hopeful they will). Thanks for the help and if anyone can offer more, that would be great.

Yea, this is brown jelly disease. I had the same thing happen to my head of 6 polyps. I dipped it and everything. One day it was nothing but little yellow dots, a weekend vacation later, and my coral was dead on Monday. Try to dip them in coral rx ASAP, or try using diluted peroxide. Of you don't act quick, im afraid you'll lose your duncans..

Archived