Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Box 13Up Arrays : For Sale!

DaveFason

You're talking to a girly girl my dear :happy:

Which drivers for a storm controller that I have? :huh:

meanwell ldd-700h or ldd-700L on a 2 amp 24v power supply should be enough.
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interested in these for a 18x20x18 cube. Seen the post recommending 2 of these and 2 meanwell dimmable drivers. Can someone tell me a good power supply to use? Like the waterproof meanwells.

Will the standard 2 channel setup run 2 of these ?

I has an idea , but not sure if I will be short on power to run properly.

In other words , DAVE , BENNY ... WAKE UP AND ANSWER THAT.

You mean like a mini tides standard driver and power supply config?

You'd be short on power.

A duo driver and power supply config should be enough for two.

You are correct. You can get a 48v 2A power supply ( desktop style ) for $25 on eBay. Or Powergate will have them for ~$35.

Interested in these for a 18x20x18 cube. Seen the post recommending 2 of these and 2 meanwell dimmable drivers. Can someone tell me a good power supply to use? Like the waterproof meanwells.

Yours should be all good. The only thing you would need is a larger power supply.

Will the standard 2 channel setup run 2 of these ?

I has an idea , but not sure if I will be short on power to run properly.

How many watts is each chip? Looking at the CNC hear sinks and they're rated by wattage

The eBay one looks to be a laptop charger? If that's the case I have a box of them. Perhaps one is 48v 2a

jedimasterben

For two of them, an HLG-60H-48 or -48A. The -48 is IP67 and the -48A is adjustable voltage and IP65. That's running on two 700mA drivers, as the boards pull right around 26w each. If you are pushing the boards to their maximum, which is 1A on the 'white' channel and 800mA on the 'blue' channel, then you'll need the HLG-80H-48 or -48A, as each board uses ~36w each.

DON'T WANNA CAN'T MAKE ME

The eBay one looks to be a laptop charger? If that's the case I have a box of them. Perhaps one is 48v 2a

Buyer beware quality, which is something that eBay power supplies generally lack. Power is not a place that you want to skimp on quality.

For two of them, an HLG-60H-48 or -48A. The -48 is IP67 and the -48A is adjustable voltage and IP65. That's running on two 700mA drivers, as the boards pull right around 26w each. If you are pushing the boards to their maximum, which is 1A on the 'white' channel and 800mA on the 'blue' channel, then you'll need the HLG-80H-48 or -48A, as each board uses ~36w each.

so suppose I get the 2 chips and the HLG-60H-48a since that seems to be the best out if the ones you suggest. Would I require drivers still to dim the 2 channels off a storm or apex.... Or just 2 of the HLG-60H-48 wired straight to the 13ups

Use two meanwell ldd-700 drivers to convert the hlg's constant voltage power into constant current power for the boards.

Use two meanwell ldd-700 drivers to convert the hlg's constant voltage power into constant current power for the boards.

That's where I got confused and couldn't find pics. I know regular power supplies u install the board of ldd's and put in the power supply. But the hlg are sealed. So how would you go about setting up? Put the 2 ldd in a hobby box or something?

jedimasterben

That's where I got confused and couldn't find pics. I know regular power supplies u install the board of ldd's and put in the power supply. But the hlg are sealed. So how would you go about setting up? Put the 2 ldd in a hobby box or something?

Not sure what you mean. There aren't any power supplies that you place LDD into. The HLG have leads that attach, or the C models have terminals.

The LDD can overheat if you aren't careful, so just be mindful of temperatures if you decide to enclose them.

Not sure what you mean. There aren't any power supplies that you place LDD into. The HLG have leads that attach, or the C models have terminals.The LDD can overheat if you aren't careful, so just be mindful of temperatures if you decide to enclose them.

I'm simple I guess lol. For some reason I thought the driver board you mount your ldd to went into the meanwell se type power supplies lol. Coulda sworn I seen that in pics of a. Build. But then again I've looked through so many pics and threads lately I think I've fried some brain cells

Breaking it down.

AC Power to DC power source ( power supply, 24v or 48v ). Then power supply to LDD drivers. Last LDD drivers to LEDs.

-Dave

Breaking it down.

AC Power to DC power source ( power supply, 24v or 48v ). Then power supply to LDD drivers. Last LDD drivers to LEDs.

-Dave

And then there was light!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a question for you Dave and the other LED gurus in this thread..

I need to light my 20L, at some point I would like to run a Nanobox. At the same time, I'd like to keep overall size relatively low since the fixture would need to be somewhat portable (smaller the better, was also looking at a Kessil A360W). Reason being is in a year I may be swapping down to a 5.5G for school, or possibly something low volume like the ADA 45-F.

I keep LPS and soft corals right now, I would like to have some blue Birdsnest and maybe a couple of monti caps later on though.

Would my best option be building one of these at say a 14-16" fixture size or buying a Duo? I know the Quad has the right footprint but pricing on it is just too high for me. Even a Duo @ $450 is about $300 more than I'd like to spend. :lol:

Hard to say. If it's to save money then you'll have your work cut out for you.

At 30" long I'd say you'd need at least three boards to light it nicely from end to end with minimal overlap. 4 may be prefered just for the extra kick in case 3 isn't enough for some photo synthetic pretties but lets keep 3 in mind for this price point.

That's 179.94 right there.

For the sake of being frugal a heatsink from heatsink USA will do. Since I'm a fan of using large fans where possible lets get the 4.850" wide heatsink to pair with 120mm fans. Also the 4.850" wide heatsink is only $0.98 an inch so 16" extrusion will be $15.68.

For fans two Rosewill 120mm fans from newegg should do it. $6.99 each or if you purchase before 8/11 you can get two for 7.98.

Heatsink: http://www.heatsinkusa.com/4-850-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/
Fans: http://204.14.213.185/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200048&cm_re=120mm_fans-_-35-200-048-_-Product
Fans 2 combo: http://204.14.213.185/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1795790

Now assuming that the combo is purchased we're looking at $203.60 without shipping being factored in.

Now from coralux lets get drivers, a driver board, dip sockets, a storm controller, a storm case, and a storm breakout cable

The Storm controller is $65.43. We want it because control is good and this is affordable compared to other options available.

The Storm Case is $9.99. We want this because it looks good and protects the circuitry from exposure and you from the circuitry.

Drivers will be Meanwell LDD-700H. Coralux sells them a $6.99 each and we need four of them so $27.96. The good news is if you wanted 4 boards instead of 3 you don't need any more drivers than these since two of the drivers will have power to spare.

For the driver board a 4 up. It's $9.99. 4 dip sockets as well since you will need to solder the terminal blocks anyways might as well solder some of these down so if a driver fails you don't have to desolder the driver. Dip sockets are $0.41 each and we'll want 4 so $1.64 there.

The Storm breakout cable we want because it's super clean to work with you can coat the unused signal leads with something like clear nail polish to keep corosion off and keep them from acidentally imparting a 5v signal to something they shouldn't lets get the 2m version because it's only $2 more than the 1m version and that extra 3 feet can be handy to work with if you want to isolate the controller from the fixture. It'll be $6.95.

Coralux (because linking all those things is a pain and the store is tiny): http://coralux.net/

Now totalling things up again we're at $325.56. Getting close to a Duo but we've still got more boards than a Duo.

For a power supply you'll want to shop around but a Meanwell HLG-120H-48A will set you back about $80 give or take where you find it. It's better to get something of at least similar quality as this is something you really don't want to skimp on. Speaking of power supplies you'll also want a 12v fan power supply something in the 1-2A output range. This can be aquired on Ebay for dirt cheap at decent quality.

Now we're up to ~$405.56.

Wire, solder, flux, and the like to make this look good are still up in the air from what's listed. I'd say $50 is a good budget for those bits.

So all in all ~$450 to build a three board with the parts listed.

What if you add a fourth board? Well I'd throw on an extra fan but everything else is still all good. The power supply should be able to handle four boards and the drivers can handle two channels each.

So for four boards ~$520 should be budgeted out plus shipping (likely around another $80). Now obviously this is all off the top of my head. With some careful shopping the cost can be reduced signifigantly. Alternative sources for fans and heatsinks and power supply will help cut costs by possibly as much as $100 (ebay can be your friend here). You will not however find the drivers or controller for cheaper unless you find a chinese vendor for the drivers or something.

Please ignore any spelling errors or logical faults as i'm very tired right now.

Thanks!! Very much appreciate the time you took to write that out.

I'll continue looking into it, but with it being at least $500... I think my best route may be just saving some extra cash and buying the Duo or Quad from Dave. Even though it would hurt.... A lot. lol.

jedimasterben

Lighting is probably the most important aspect of your tank, I would get what you want from the getgo unless you like having a project and to tinker.

Archived