sand turned into chunks

ps2cho

At one side of my tank there are lumps of sand stuck together...why did this happen and any tips to declump it?

Pic? Did you try breaking or stirring it up? If I'm picturing it the way you're describing it sounds like an air bubble or something

I have clumps also. Small worms build tubes using slime and sand, in my case that is what it is. They are easy to crumble but I let them be.

It can also be a bacterial "membrane" so to speak. It's common when first starting due to the initial bacterial bloom.

Could also be calcium carbonate precipitation, which sometimes happens in newer sand beds. It can sometimes be like cement. If this is the case, it could be high Ca, Alk, pH, or carbon dosing (vinegar, vodka, ect) combined with kalk dosing. Even just having a new sand bed can change the pH in just your sand bed causing things to precipitate.

Maybe its multiple things :)

Could be why your Ca isn't keeping up (looking at your thread). Also, generally you want to keep Alk around NSW when using carbon or you could get burnt tips on your SPS. Keep an eye on your Alk.

I'm running alk at 9 calcium at 420 with kalk. I do a little vinegar with my kalk mix. Do you think I should drop my alk a little?

Archived