Pod Your Reef

Seahorse Nanos

BKtomodachi

BKtomodachi

Does anyone have a seahorse nano here? I have a spare ten gallon hex and was sondering if anyone has seahorses. I will have a fuge and low flow.... I've done my research but I'm just looking for examples.

BKtomodachi

I have a supplier for dwarfs here.... and have cruised that site plus lots of others... maybe I will just have to be the "pioneer" for this site and do it first. Thanks for the help.

Aquaexpert116

i know people who keep seahorses, and they tell me they do not last in captivity. They are very fragile to water changes and hard to feed them

reef hugger

Spend some more time at seahorse.org.

What kind of horses do you plan on keeping? Dwarves will be too small for that size tank, 5gal at the most. That is because of the food density issue. H.barbouri or H.comes would be good canidates for that tank. H.reidi and H.erectus and others that are similar in size would be too big. It might be be an ok size for a QT tank, but not for long term living.

Only get CB, they are most likely going to be eating frozen food and are less stressed or diseased. Wild caught are almost impossible to feed, unless you have your own mysid farm.

Do you plan on keeping corals in with the horses? No corals that have strong stings or sweepers tenticles. The safer corals are shrooms, gorgonians, zoos, and featherdusters.

Dwarfs are easy to keep , the problem is the only eat like BBS and those are a paint o hatch and feed to the horses every few days without making sure the egg shells from the shrimp gets into the seahorse tank. Another problem with dwarfs is if you use live rock you MUST be sure it is damn near sterile and if it is that devoid of life you wont get much filtration out of it. BBS feed hydroids that come wiht most live rock . in a regualr reef hydroids are out competed and eaten by whats in the tank , in a drawf tank they grow like mad and can do serious damage to the animals. It still can be done But one must be preared to maintain a level of devotion and commitment above and beyond what a "normal" nano reef requires, and forget about going on vacations. A newborn baby alone has a better chance of survial than an unattended dwarf seahores tank has for a week.

kris_willard

Pick up issue #1 of "coral" magazine. I have a copy and theres like 6 pages on keeping sea horses its very informitive

reef hugger

Don't buy from Seahores Farms, they are all wild caught and extremely over priced. I can get CB for around $10 a horse and WC for $5. They have also stolen pictures from seahorse.org and have refussed to take them off their website. The kit that they sell which has the horses, tank, UGF, and other things is the stupidest thing that i have seen. Urrrrghh they are just trying to make a buck anyway that they can, and don't give a f$*k about the seahorses well being. :angry::rant: I can go on about them if you want me too.

Don't buy from Seahores Farms
slip of the keyboard? :D

don't hold back, tell us what you really feel about them. :P

BKtomodachi

lol.... well I have a new idea! I will need to somehow find CB or TR drarfs, as the one I have acess to are for some reason WC... at least they were honest.

And I will use my old 5 gallon bowfront if smaller is better.

PS I hatch BS already for fw fry.

reef hugger

:blush::D

Seahorse Farms, Seahores Farms same thing. :bling:

Inland Aquatics has CB sometimes for $10 unsexed, Ocean Rider are expensive @$20 each unsexed.

Your best bet is to place an ad on seahorse.org.

Archived