inTank Media Baskets

theishkid's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

theishkid

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get ready to have a TON of snails. I only ordered the 25 gallon quick crew, and I feel like I have over 100 dwarf ceriths.

Yea I'm kind of worried about that… is it too many snails do you think?

Should I not put all of them in there? I hate to just kill them… but I don't want to overload my tank with them either.

The clean up crew from John at Reef Cleaners came in this afternoon. I was shocked to see almost no water in the bags but it looks like the majority of everything survived.

Here's a recap of what I ordered which was a 30G quick crew.

28 Dwarf Ceriths, 11 Nassarius, 12 FLorida Ceriths, and 11 Nerites

I'm pretty sure he was good about giving me maybe an extra or so of each one… I didn't count.

But I did count the Dwarf Ceriths and there was 160 of them!

I was worried it would look like there are way too many but really I think it'll be fine. I'll see once they all spread out.

He typically ships snails with little water and there should have been some paper towels in the bag. From what I can tell, this seems to work well. He actually explains a little about why he ships that way on his site.

That sounds pretty close to my experience, 1 or 2 extra of the nerites, nassarius, and F. Cerith, and A LOT of dwarfs.

I did find, though, that a good number of the dwarf we just empty shells. What I did was drop all of each type of snail in a different place. Give it about 3 or 4 days for them to acclimate and wake up from their shipping slumber. By day 4 or so, the ones that are alive should have moved on to another place in the tank and you can then remove or move the dead/empty snail shells. I just picked them up and dropped them behind my rockwork so that they would not be seen.

Even though it is an overwhelming number of dwark ceriths, what you will come to find is that they will be pretty hidden throughout the day, but then will come out in large numbers at night when the lights are off.

Oh and don't worry about the Florida ceriths if they don't move for a couple days. Mine didn't really "wake up" for about 3 days or so, but sure enough they all were alive.

Thanks for the comments about the Florida Ceriths… I was worried about them since they are the only ones that weren't moving.

I forgot to attach a couple of pics I took.

15390919796_9dbb51061d_b.jpg

15227418817_969f3d6675_b.jpg

15227416867_214047fe5c_b.jpg

15227180269_f01a7230d7_b.jpg

Anyone know what some of these large circular things are growing on the shells of the larger snails?

Anyone know what some of these large circular things are growing on the shells of the larger snails?

No problem, I wondered about them for a little while too! The circular things on the snail shells are barnacles.

I'm starting to think that none of the Florida Ceriths made it... Not a single one of them has moved yet. I'll give them through the end of the weekend before I jump to any conclusions but hopefully these guys start working.

Another small update... I still don't think any of the larger Ceriths have moved yet. I'll wait it out but contact John if they don't get up by Sunday.

I also made a few purchases... maybe a little prematurely but I really wanted a yellow clown goby and my LFS just happened to get some in. So I had them test my water and I went ahead and picked up one of these little guys.

15430911201_a89aabb5a0_b.jpg

I also wanted to get a little piece of easy coral just to watch things for the next month before I start adding more things. I went and got a little piece of leather coral and also saw some green star polyps so I went ahead and picked up both of them. So far everything seems to be doing okay.

15247540527_3378e29d2e_b.jpg

Just out of curiosity... Did you quarantine fish and/or dip corals? Because you may want to keep an eye out (and stock some reef-safe medications), just in case.

Not all people can afford this luxury ^^ many people have gotten away without. Hey ish btw we've spoken before briefly I've never been to your thread but now I'm glad. I really love these tanks and want one so bad but it may not be the route i take. I'll be here following this. What are your plans for coral ??

After dealing with ich myself, I setup a QT and have quarantined all fish ever since. Set the whole tank up for about $40-50. It's a pain to setup and tank care of, but I don't think cost should be much of a deterrence, as it can be done for the cost of 1-2 fish, which seems like a pretty cheap insurance policy. If I ever get away from a QT, it'll be because of the maintenance/hassle.

I definitely don't quarantine. This was literally the ONLY spot in my house for a tank. If I try to set up something else to quarantine it would have to be on the kitchen table or something and the wife is NOT having that.

From a fish perspective I don't plan on adding much else. MAYBE a midas blenny but I haven't done any research on that fish yet... maybe another clown, and maybe mandarine once my tank becomes far more established. And I don't mean all three of these options, but maybe one of the three.

As far as corals go I don't have a stocking list yet. I want to have a little bit of everything, like a bunch of little frags so I can watch them grow. I know I want a small toadstool leather, some frogspawn, maybe some of that dual color hammer. Then I would like a couple ricordias, then a few frags of sps down the road when the tank matures. And the biggest thing I want are clams, at least one or two.

And another note... the larger Florida Ceriths did not make the trip. The smell was horrendous after taking them out of the tank.

Not all people can afford this luxury ^^ many people have gotten away without. Hey ish btw we've spoken before briefly I've never been to your thread but now I'm glad. I really love these tanks and want one so bad but it may not be the route i take. I'll be here following this. What are your plans for coral ??

I agree. For me, it is hard to afford the time/maintenance involved with setting up a QT. I plan to stock very carefully and only pick fish that I know are healthy. I plan to get most of my remaining fish out of coral tanks/display tanks from my LFS's, and not out of the fish-for-sale tanks. Even though this is not quite as ideal as QT, it is the best option for me.

I definitely don't quarantine. This was literally the ONLY spot in my house for a tank. If I try to set up something else to quarantine it would have to be on the kitchen table or something and the wife is NOT having that.

From a fish perspective I don't plan on adding much else. MAYBE a midas blenny but I haven't done any research on that fish yet... maybe another clown, and maybe mandarine once my tank becomes far more established. And I don't mean all three of these options, but maybe one of the three.

As far as corals go I don't have a stocking list yet. I want to have a little bit of everything, like a bunch of little frags so I can watch them grow. I know I want a small toadstool leather, some frogspawn, maybe some of that dual color hammer. Then I would like a couple ricordias, then a few frags of sps down the road when the tank matures. And the biggest thing I want are clams, at least one or two.

I agree 100%. I do not have room or the time for a QT, or a second tank at all for that matter. I love the YCG. I had one and loved him, but had to get rid of it due to it feeding on the polyps of my cyphastreas and acro. Be careful if you plan to add any coral that has small polyps like that as they will feed on them and kill the frag.

And another note... the larger Florida Ceriths did not make the trip. The smell was horrendous after taking them out of the tank.

That sucks, but I am sure John will send you some more.

That sucks, but I am sure John will send you some more.

I do believe he is refunding me for those snails. Either way he's taking care of it and I'm really happy with the order even those didn't make it. I would definitely buy again. I think I ordered 32 ceriths and I actually counted as I put them in the tank… there were 160.

I was worried it would be far too many and be unsightly but you rarely notice them. I could probably throw in 100 more before it looked like a lot.

Nerite snails suck. All they do is sit in the top right corner of my tank bundled up.

I went to my LFS and bought some large Ceriths to replace the Florida Ceriths and also bought 3 Turbos and those guys are awesome! They love the rock and spend all their time on it cleaning away.

Well seriously… if they don't start cleaning soon I'm going to pull them out and go buy more Turbos… I've even pulled them off the glass a couple of times and set them on the rock and they just go back to the corner.

Well seriously… if they don't start cleaning soon I'm going to pull them out and go buy more Turbos… I've even pulled them off the glass a couple of times and set them on the rock and they just go back to the corner.

Mine really like to clean during the night, and hang out at the top of the water line during the day. ...And then try and sneak out of the tank.

I just found one in my rear chamber... Stupid idiot. I'm kind of a night owl and never see any of them ever leave the rear corners.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've decided I'm definitely going to get rid of all my nerite snails and go buy a bunch more turbos. The turbos I bought from my LFS actually spend time on my rock cleaning.

Also a couple more updates… I made some purchases when I went to a frag swap. Probably too soon but I don't think it's anything to hard to keep.

15587273372_9a73e01729_b.jpg

This picture does not do the plate justice… it's beautiful bright orange in person.

15587271782_13e6583ff6_b.jpg

I believe these are called watermelon eagle eyes.

15400829150_06f5380a6c_b.jpg

And I believe these are called dragon eyes.

14965698484_5368e09a53_b.jpg

And I need an id on these little guys. These were ID'd as Bam Bams.

15400436027_c91324e8a1_b.jpg

And then I picked up some pulsing xenia because my wife loves them. Hopefully they'll grow up my back wall.

• 3 weeks later...

New awesome purchase! Well worth the $24 dollars!

15558079689_fc18615127_b.jpg

Why is this so great you ask? Because now I can individually toggle off items if I ever need to without having to unplug them or climb over my couch to grab them.

Whenever I do a 5 gallon water change I need to kill the return and the ATO. And if I ever want to clean out the back chamber I need to kill the heater, return, skimmer, etc and now I can individually do it... This thing is awesome!

New awesome purchase! Well worth the $24 dollars!

15558079689_fc18615127_b.jpg

Why is this so great you ask? Because now I can individually toggle off items if I ever need to without having to unplug them or climb over my couch to grab them.

Whenever I do a 5 gallon water change I need to kill the return and the ATO. And if I ever want to clean out the back chamber I need to kill the heater, return, skimmer, etc and now I can individually do it... This thing is awesome!

Did it come pre-labeled? Nice way to keep everything organized!

Archived