ReefCleaners.org

theishkid's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

theishkid

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend/Cabinet maker... they are one in the same! He's going to come over sometime next week and get measurements and such. He thinks he can get it basically done in one day. I'm sure it will take longer than that though if we order cabinet doors like the rest of my house. And then of course there is the staining and finishing.

I'm also in talks right now with Dave at NanoBox to build my light with Bluefish. But I want to wait and make sure the new tank doesn't have any problems before proceeding.

Nanofreak79

Sounds like a really nice set up so far. The NanoBox and blue fish would be pretty cool. Nice to have a handy friend!

Theishkid,

Those are fundamental foundational obvious flaws which should have not been even glued. But sent to the recycle bin.

I was looking at the 50 long, really. I even posted in this forum about it.

Theishkid,

Those are fundamental foundational obvious flaws which should have not been even glued. But sent to the recycle bin.

I was looking at the 50 long, really. I even posted in this forum about it.

I don't disagree with that... If I were you I would just find a local store that sells CAD and buy it in person.

So even though they are sending me the new tank I still wanted to sit this one in the area that it will be going.

I'm really excited about it! I think it's the perfect size for the space and will feel even bigger once it's up higher on a stand.

I really felt like I was going to be limited but every time I walked by it I felt better about it. It's just a case of going from a 75 to a 34... but it's just starting to feel bigger and I'm not feeling so limited.

post-84529-0-43687300-1403900772_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New update...

New tank still isn't here, delayed because I'm waiting on the elite skimmer I guess.

My friend came over tonight and did all the measurements for the stand. I gave him the custom hardware that I got last week and the stain we used on the other wood work in the house.

Tomorrow I'm gonna contact Dave and finally get this light ordered!

I wanted to wait for the new tank to arrive to make sure it was perfect but if I do that before I start the stand or the light I won't be getting wet until September... it's time to get this party started!

Finally put my order in to Dave at NanoBox Reef... here's what I ordered.

24" Quad with legs

Bluefish controller

Dedicated moon lights

Limes

Matte White body and end caps

Black mesh grates

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, tank still isn't here so I'm a little disappointed. I had asked CAD that since the tank hadn't come by the week before last to wait since I was in Chicago all last week. But I was hoping it would have gone out at the end of last week to be here Tuesday... turns out it still hadn't shipped but hopefully it went out today.

In other news, my friend started working on my stand.

14596225690_ccf520f3b8_o.jpg

Finally! The revised tank has arrived and I'm not seeing any major flaws (or any flaws) in this one. I had also sent back in my PLS-50 skimmer and exchanged it for the new Elite that they sent with this revised tank.

14620539008_608f574354_b.jpg

I was a little worried at first with the skimmer because the box has a sticker on it that does not say Elite. But after doing some research online and looking at the older model and the new Elite... they definitely put the Elite in the box.

14784159876_ff81903db5_b.jpg

I put the skimmer together... is this how it is supposed to go and the direction of the pump? Also there is a lot of tubing for the silencer... is that normal or should I trim it down a little bit?

14807161335_9fd7b44515_b.jpg

My friend is also supposed to be finishing up the stand facing tomorrow morning so that he can get the doors ordered.

I was also thinking of getting one of the new Maxspect Riptides but it's looking like there won't be anything available for smaller tanks until December. So that coupled with the fact that Vortech pumps are 15% off in August I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and do the MP10 route.

Getting there. Elite skimmer looks the same as the pls50. Weird. Imo it looks identical to mine

It looked the same to me too, I had to do a lot of digging last night because I was worried it was the same. There are a few subtle differences that they changed. Like a single screw for the mounting, the base being rounded at one end in the front... and (I think it's called the bubble plate) it looks like a flower design on the older one and it's just a circle on the new one.

My friend just finished facing my stand this morning! He's going to order the doors Monday morning and I might have something pretty soon!

14625042948_8389cc7ee7_b.jpg

I ordered my digital refractometer today! Things are looking up like I might be getting wet within a week or two!

I also played around with the new Elite skimmer in the sink for a minute.

14792706236_c8f0c38a25_b.jpg

What do you mean? Like what?

Like you had it in the display portion of your tank not the filter part in the back

Oh sorry, no… I just hung it there to take a picture right when I got the tank. It'll go down in the back like it's supposed to.

Well I wasn't planning on getting one so soon but I ordered a 5 stage RO/Di + Chloramines filter from bulkreefsupply tonight. It was $30 dollars off as their deal of the day and since I've been looking at it for 3 months I thought I would go ahead and bite the bullet. I guess I'm not going to have to be lugging around as many buckets as I thought I was to the LFS!

Awesome news. Its really nice being able to make your water at home. I have 20g on hand always now. Now just invest in a good timer. I have forgotten more than a few times I was making water even if it was only 5 min after the jug was full. Timer helps me not worries about it so much and allows me to do what I need to do. Another good investment maybe a float shut off for your bucket or water storage container.

Quick question for you. Have you tried fitting the PLS-50 Elite in the back chamber yet? I got my tank and skimmer from CAD yesterday and with it as far down as it goes, you can still see the top of the skimmer cup. I think they may have increased the height of the skimmer a bit when they designed the new one and now it sticks out the top. It is not a lot, but one of the main reasons I went with this tank is the skimmer is supposed to be completely hidden. I guess I could just have it set up wrong, and I am planning on playing with it some more, just wondering if you noticed the same thing.

I actually haven't tried it with the elite yet. I do know that the collection cup is a little bit higher than the original PLS-50 on the Elite.

What I want to know is… what direction do y'all angle your skimmer pump before putting it in the tank? And how do you run the silencer line?

Archived