SaltCritters.com

Help With Acans... Something Taking Chunks Out Of Tissue?

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Long story short I recently got these and they show full extension daily, eat well, and are very happy. I looked at them before bet the other night and 6 hours later they were missing a small chunk on the outer rim of a single head. If you look at the picture, you can see the pinkish-red spot where the tissue is missing. Are sexy shrimp or Urchins coral eaters?! I have no idea What the heck cause it but something took a chunk outta it. It still is happy and shows full extension... Just confused. Also there are no corals close enough to sting it either... Ideas?

Something had to have taken a chunk outta the heads... No way it lost tissue like that in a matter of a few hours...

FYI, the picture of the damage was taken after lights turned off, coral was pretty shrunk up...

post-79843-0-36288100-1403317094_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-24912700-1403317121_thumb.jpg

Sexies are known nibblers of zoanthids unless you feed them heavily...I think they are your prime suspect?

Any fish?

Steensj2004

Sexies are known nibblers of zoanthids unless you feed them heavily...I think they are your prime suspect?

Any fish?

Yeah:

-Very small Clown

-Purple fire fish

- Hi-fin

-ORA Mimic Blenny....

No real nibblers

Steensj2004

Tuxedo urchin... No algae on the frag.... And the Blenny hasn't appeared to touch anything like that as far as I can tell. That doesn't mean he hasn't though.

What other corals are surrounding it (within 6", even 8-10" if there are very large LPS colonies near by)? I had a couple polyps of a nice rainbow acan be ripped to shreds overnight after my merulina decided to throw out 4"+ sweepers for the first time ever (and I've had it for nearly 2 years).

The acan was missing half a polyp overnight. The next night I broke out the flashlight and sure enough - the merulina had some MASSIVE sweepers (like bigger than a stunner chalice) and that was what did the damage.

Some corals can never have sweepers for months, even years, and then all the sudden throw them out one night. I would stay up and watch with a flashlight.

While your fish can nibble, and so can sexy's - they don't usually do that much damage that quickly - it sounds more like another coral.

Double check your mimic blenny. I had a starry blenny that really, really liked my firecracker favia frag. It would scrape the tissue off and would expose some skeleton. Once removing the frag to a basket in the tank and removing the fish the frag recovered. I know mimics are supposed to be reef safe but blennies are a "with caution" fish imo.

Archived