Cultivated Reef

leaching po4 live rock

linbeg

Right now, i have a 75 gallon tank with 2 inch live sand, 30 gallon sump with chaeto, Aqua C ev 120, phosphate reactor running rowaphos for about 1 week.

I also have 1 small frogspawn, 1 zoa, 1 green paly 4 green/blue chromis and a clown fish pair and CUC.

I have a tiny bit of GHA in my tank, and i found out that my rock is leaching phosphate. Since my rock is leaching phosphate, what' the best way to deplete the live rock of its phosphates besides "locking" or "binding " the PO4 to the live rock by keeping pH at 8.2. I heard one way was to "cook" the rock almost like a curing process for about 7~ weeks. ?

Is there another way to deplete the rock without removing it from my DT?

Since running rowaphos i have 0.09ppm phosphates. But i believe the GHA algae consumes the phosphates quickly giving a false reading. Should water changes and continuing to run my phosphate reactor would eventually remove all/most of the phosphates in my live rock?

also i also implemented a small algae scrubber

A phosphate removing media (like Rowaphos) will continue to reduce the phosphate in the water. Leached phosphate mean less phosphate left in the rock. Eventually there won't be enough phosphate in the rock to leach. However this can take several months (whether you treat the rock in your display tank, or in a curing tub).

Keep in mind that phosphate media can also reduce alkalinity. Track both phosphate and alkalinity if treating it in your display tank.

The phosphate tests should tell you when. When it starts to climb, you need to replace the media. Remember that you aren't trying to make phosphate undetectable. Try to target it at 0.03ppm.

Since running rowaphos i have 0.09ppm phosphates.

+1 seabass

This is high, aim for 0.02.

How do you know your rock is leaching? just curious.

The phosphate tests should tell you when. When it starts to climb, you need to replace the media. Remember that you aren't trying to make phosphate undetectable. Try to target it at 0.03ppm.

so your saying right now at i should try to change the media then?

+1 sea bass

Too much GFO will strip the water too quickly and you could have other troubles. Test the phosphates and if they rise above the current level of 0.09 then change out the media. If it stays At 0.09 for another week, add a bit more media. Replace media when phosphates begin to rise.

Archived