Coral Vue Hydros

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

Nice build, Mark! I bet all the fish love the added space. Now you have lots of room to fill in with SPS. :D

Thanks! Not sure about the room though! :D

So I wanted an SWC skimmer but I'm having issues contacting SWC to see why my order apparently did not go through, so I bought one of these instead:

sxpm2.jpg

It's been skimming for 2 days now and seems to have broken in quickly. I placed it on 4 pieces of eggcrate bit I'm thinking I might need to raise it up another inch.

aonv.jpg

Took a vacation day yesterday and moved most of the contents of the 46 over. Good grief I have a lot of corals, and now even less extra space.

I went ahead and moved my other yellow tang with a mirror at the ready. I was warned this could get ugly, but frankly these are two of the goofiest fish I've ever seen and have no idea how to actually fight. First the try and stare each other down, then the try to back into each other with the blades, but like an old man backing up a car it's not working very well and they end up just floating around each other.

Then, if that's not enough comedy, the Kole tang gets in between them and just sort of hangs out until the yellows go to their corner. Craziest thing I've ever seen. Because I wasn't watching them 24/7 I put a mirror on the side my first yellow likes to hang out. He loves himself and this was good enough to keep him busy most of the day.

So now comes the bubble tip anemone. I need to move him and his rock and 5,000,073 bubbles of bubble algae. I double check the temp and params, the 46 is at 8.5KH and the 150 is down to 9KH so I think I'm good enough. I used a small bucket, big enough for the rock, so he never hits the air. The last thing I want is him getting all mad and cruising the tank. The move went well and he's still in the spot I picked for him with the same PAR he had in the 46. If he wants to move he can move, I'll work around him.

Next up is the clowns. I've had my female for 2 years and the male for six months. I've had her in my 40, my 46, and now the 150. In the other two tanks she always ends up living in the top left corner. Hoping for the best I catch her and release her so she must swim through the anemone. She does, and then right up to the top left corner of the 150. Such is my lot in life I suppose. She was happy to see her man once I caught the little punk, and now they're both up there on the left. :furious:

Next was the Starry Blenny. The old man was hard as heck to catch, and I was using my small white soft next so i would not tear any of his various mouth barbs. He was not happy and sulked for a while, and then he and the Kole Tang got into it a bit, I suppose because they have the same eating habits? The mirror helped distract things for a while and I haven't seen any more aggression after the first hour.

That ended the move from the 46. I left behind my purple Dottyback terror, who will be returned to the LFS, plus a couple of rocks with Blastos, some Acans, and an encrusted Leptastrea that I hoping I can break off and transfer. I discarded most of the rocks from the 46 but moved some of the less infested ones to the sump to try and transfer as much bacteria as possible. All in all the move went well and the scaping also went well, except for my large monti rock, which is just sitting there for now, until I figure out what to do with it. Oh, and the Xenia came over with it. I need something to keep me busy, right?

uszf.jpg

KH is now dropping fast. 8.4 yesterday evening so I added 2 caps each of 2 part. 7.2 this evening. :o Added 4 caps each of 2 part and we'll see how far it drops tomorrow evening. :D I need to get the IV started.

... and a video. You can see the tangs having a quick moment here. I also did not notice it at first but one of the yellow tangs seems to be scratching or possibly just mad. :unsure:

• Like 9

Your tank instantly looks better than mine ever has lol

Looks awesome man, hopefully the transfer continues to go well for you

Thanks, so far so good!

Nice choice on the Reef Octo skimmer. I really like mine.

Ah, good, glad to hear you like yours. I knew people liked Reef Octopus and this was the biggest one I could fit in my sump without going to the small footprint versions and adding $200 to the price. It's a beast. :)

• Like 1

Tank looks really good! All your corals are so colorful.

Thanks! :)

The last of the transfers is done, and everything mounted. Jeesh, what a job. I'm reasonably happy with the monti rock now, turned on it's side and positioned so my unkillable gorgonian is upright. I was able to move everything I wanted, including most of a leptastrea that had encrusted onto a rock.

eaqo.jpg

xwar.jpg

gamu0.jpg

Took another video, this time in 1020 HD ... I did not know my Nikon could do 1020 HD :o This is handheld so if you get seasick you might want to avoid this one. :D

• Like 7
Roshan8768

Man this tank looks plenty full already. Incredible how many corals you had packed into your two tanks!! If I where you I would just let this grow out, it has the potential to look awesome and very natural as it won't look like it's packed with a bunch of frags if you leave it how it is and just let it grow. JMO :)

• Like 2

Yeah it filled up quick. Looking amazing though. Curious as to how much alk you will be going through with such a large volume of water. Do you plan to run kalk in you ato or possibly setting up a ca reactor?

• Like 1

Yeah it filled up quick. Looking amazing though. Curious as to how much alk you will be going through with such a large volume of water. Do you plan to run kalk in you ato or possibly setting up a ca reactor?

Thanks. I plan to dose only two part via a doser. Right now I'm at 6 caps full (I have to measure how much that is) a day as the corals get settled back in. My evaporation is low (glass lids) so I won't be using kalc.

Man this tank looks plenty full already. Incredible how many corals you had packed into your two tanks!! If I where you I would just let this grow out, it has the potential to look awesome and very natural as it won't look like it's packed with a bunch of frags if you leave it how it is and just let it grow. JMO :)

Ha, you think I can resist adding just a few more corals? :)

Wow, its so pretty already. Can't imagine a year from now! Still I'm sad to see the bowfront go.

It looked good, but was frustrating. I need to take a picture of some beastly growth on the back of one of the wp25's. It's orange-brown, hairy, and scary looking. Probably a sponge of some sort.

• Like 1

Wow mark it turned out amazing! How do you like the 18" distance front to back?

Thanks!

I could use another 6 inches, but I still like it. If you can fit a 180 there is no reason not to go 180 IMO, but I like height and I like things close to the front of the tank, so this works for me. I'm also not planning to get any big fish. I've got my 3 tangs, will probably try a mandarin at some point and try to get 3 more blue eyed cardinals. I was thinking another wrasse but I felt sorry for my one lipped six line and moved him, so I don't think another wrasse will work with him in the tank.

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Loved looking through the new pics you posted. They're high enough resolution to get a sense of looking at the tank in person. You have a great mix of matured colonies placed around the tank. The biggest one, the green bird, is possibly the prettiest of all corals in the reef -- at least to my eye. And I love the complementing colors of the purple colony against the yellow/green acro. Green slimer? Also caught a glimpse of a little xenia behind the monti plates! Even though I get the sense that they're generally hated in the hobby, I find their pulsing polyps and swaying motion mesmerizing. Awesome that your tank is big enough to include them too. Well, I'm sure it's been a lot of exhausting work, but it really is looking great!

• Like 1

Wow! Apparently I've been MIA from NR for too long. I missed the transfer! I'm glad it went so well and that all the fish are doing well. From the videos it seems that they love all the swimming space. Its great how they're all out and about, cruising around in there. I cannot believe how many corals you have! You already packed a 150 gallon! That tank looks amazing and full already! Oh and I just love the color you get from the Maxspect fixtures. I just ordered the 27" 16k for my main tank, so I may have to ask you your settings of white vs. blue since I like your color so much.

• Like 1

Loved looking through the new pics you posted. They're high enough resolution to get a sense of looking at the tank in person. You have a great mix of matured colonies placed around the tank. The biggest one, the green bird, is possibly the prettiest of all corals in the reef -- at least to my eye. And I love the complementing colors of the purple colony against the yellow/green acro. Green slimer? Also caught a glimpse of a little xenia behind the monti plates! Even though I get the sense that they're generally hated in the hobby, I find their pulsing polyps and swaying motion mesmerizing. Awesome that your tank is big enough to include them too. Well, I'm sure it's been a lot of exhausting work, but it really is looking great!

Hi, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. That yellow green set of sticks is a green slimer, my second oldest sps behind the purple stylo to it's left. The green bird is a youngin, but a really really fast grower. :D I completely scrubbed all rocks clean of Xenia when I setup my little 29 <_< and now it's back and on the move, so I can enjoy it in there. :P Too much flow to see the movement in here, but we'll see how it does. It's been a ton of work, but hopefully I am nearing the end. I still have to drain and dump the 40 and 46.

Wow! Apparently I've been MIA from NR for too long. I missed the transfer! I'm glad it went so well and that all the fish are doing well. From the videos it seems that they love all the swimming space. Its great how they're all out and about, cruising around in there. I cannot believe how many corals you have! You already packed a 150 gallon! That tank looks amazing and full already! Oh and I just love the color you get from the Maxspect fixtures. I just ordered the 27" 16k for my main tank, so I may have to ask you your settings of white vs. blue since I like your color so much.

Thanks, yea, lots and lots of corals.

I run my Maxspect full blast for 4 hours, 100% Blue and White, then ramp down slowly on either side.

TIME: BLUE, WHITE

06:00: 001 000

12:00: 100 001

14:30: 100 100

19:30: 100 100

21:00: 100 000

22:30: 000 000

-----

So, I had my first leak. :owned: Successful test of the shower liner which held all the water. Only about 2 cups in a very slow leak from the left overflow where it drains into the sump. It's the only thing I don't like about the trigger sumps. One of my bag of carbon somehow got lodged below the output and increased pressure enough to test a very wimpy connection. Easily fixed by cutting the pipe shorter, but another indication I will someday have to re-plumb from the bulkhead union down to the sump.

My plan was to hook up the doser and my new Apex with lab grade PH probe, but only the doser got hooked up tonight. I was up to 7 caps and climbing of 2 part (each) so I'm starting at 70ml a day in 24 doses and working from there. Alk tonight was 7.3KH which I upped to 7.8KH and then set the doser. My goal is to stay right around 7.5 KH.

hzlb.jpg

Isn't it time to pet me?

78svy.jpg

• Like 3
Polarcollision

Hi, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. That yellow green set of sticks is a green slimer, my second oldest sps behind the purple stylo to it's left. The green bird is a youngin, but a really really fast grower. :D I completely scrubbed all rocks clean of Xenia when I setup my little 29 <_< and now it's back and on the move, so I can enjoy it in there. :P Too much flow to see the movement in here, but we'll see how it does. It's been a ton of work, but hopefully I am nearing the end. I still have to drain and dump the 40 and 46.

Thanks, yea, lots and lots of corals.

I run my Maxspect full blast for 4 hours, 100% Blue and White, then ramp down slowly on either side.

TIME: BLUE, WHITE

06:00: 001 000

12:00: 100 001

14:30: 100 100

19:30: 100 100

21:00: 100 000

22:30: 000 000

-----

So, I had my first leak. :owned: Successful test of the shower liner which held all the water. Only about 2 cups in a very slow leak from the left overflow where it drains into the sump. It's the only thing I don't like about the trigger sumps. One of my bag of carbon somehow got lodged below the output and increased pressure enough to test a very wimpy connection. Easily fixed by cutting the pipe shorter, but another indication I will someday have to re-plumb from the bulkhead union down to the sump.

My plan was to hook up the doser and my new Apex with lab grade PH probe, but only the doser got hooked up tonight. I was up to 7 caps and climbing of 2 part (each) so I'm starting at 70ml a day in 24 doses and working from there. Alk tonight was 7.3KH which I upped to 7.8KH and then set the doser. My goal is to stay right around 7.5 KH.

hzlb.jpg

Isn't it time to pet me?

78svy.jpg

I need to know how you keep your orange monti digis colorful when alk is at 7.5. Every one I've tried keeps it's polyps, but the skin part never really bounces back from alk drops

Mail me your papillon. I'll pet her. :-)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The only thing I can think of when I see a papillon is this batshit insane customer I had when I ran a UPS Store, the woman was absolutely nuts and bred them, and she would always try and tell us that papillon means butterfly, papillon is French for butterfly, did you know that papillon means butterfly? :lol:

Then one day she came in all distraught, her oldest one had died, but it was ok, she'd gone earlier that day and had the dog taxidermied to the contours of her body so that when she dies they can place the dog on top of her at her funeral and they can be buried together.

poker_face.png

• Like 4

I need to know how you keep your orange monti digis colorful when alk is at 7.5. Every one I've tried keeps it's polyps, but the skin part never really bounces back from alk drops

Mail me your papillon. I'll pet her. :-)

Hmmm. Drops in alk hurt it, but I've never had issues running between 7 and 8. If I go below 6.5 the montis start to really suffer, but usually recover once I'm stable again around 7.5.

Flash is a boy dog. :D We have two boys, Flash and Fluffy (named by the kids).

The only thing I can think of when I see a papillon is this batshit insane customer I had when I ran a UPS Store, the woman was absolutely nuts and bred them, and she would always try and tell us that papillon means butterfly, papillon is French for butterfly, did you know that papillon means butterfly? :lol:

Then one day she came in all distraught, her oldest one had died, but it was ok, she'd gone earlier that day and had the dog taxidermied to the contours of her body so that when she dies they can place the dog on top of her at her funeral and they can be buried together.

Pappillon breeders are an odd bunch, as I expect most "pure bread" breeders are. Our two were driven down in a large van from Cleveland by a fun, but crazy, lady who bred them. The tiny one in the picture (Flash) has some breeding defect that makes him un-showable ... ie CHEAP. Fluffy may not be pure because some other dog got lose in the sex pen so they can not certify pure. Even CHEAPER! He's a lot bigger, calmer, and more my kind of dog than hyper boy, or as I like to call him, Flashole. Hell, I though spending money on dogs was insane ... then I got into reefing and made that purchase seem like chump change. Both are fun to have around and love to watch me work on the tanks ... and get dog hair in the tanks.

I can't imagine breeding dogs for show. Those people are certifiable. :haha:

• Like 1
Cameron6796

Wow I'm back from a vacay and I get to see this:)))))) awesome how your cramped tanks turned this into a seemingly mature tank

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Hmmm. Drops in alk hurt it, but I've never had issues running between 7 and 8. If I go below 6.5 the montis start to really suffer, but usually recover once I'm stable again around 7.5.

Flash is a boy dog. :D We have two boys, Flash and Fluffy (named by the kids).

Pappillon breeders are an odd bunch, as I expect most "pure bread" breeders are. Our two were driven down in a large van from Cleveland by a fun, but crazy, lady who bred them. The tiny one in the picture (Flash) has some breeding defect that makes him un-showable ... ie CHEAP. Fluffy may not be pure because some other dog got lose in the sex pen so they can not certify pure. Even CHEAPER! He's a lot bigger, calmer, and more my kind of dog than hyper boy, or as I like to call him, Flashole. Hell, I though spending money on dogs was insane ... then I got into reefing and made that purchase seem like chump change. Both are fun to have around and love to watch me work on the tanks ... and get dog hair in the tanks.

I can't imagine breeding dogs for show. Those people are certifiable. :haha:

Guess my alk stayed lower than I thought. Now I have literally two pieces about 1/2" x 1/4" from the original that have not grown in almost a year. But have also not died. And the replacement now has algae growing between the polyps where the skin should be. Maybe in 10 years it will recover. :-)

I'll pet HIM for you. :-) A coworker has two papillons that have the best personalities so I'm biased. They knew all kinds of tricks -- pretty much reminded me of itty bitty aussies, personality wise at least. That customer makes me feel much less crazy for not being able to spread my dog's ashes somewhere!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the light, Mark! I'll have to definitely try my white and blue at the same percentage to start with because I love the color balance on your tank :)

I'm glad the shower curtain liner worked for the leak! That's awesome :)

• Like 1