ReefCleaners.org

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

skyscraper2290

Whoaaaa, the tank looks so much different without the slimer in there! Looking forward to how the tank looks after you make all your changes!

• Like 1

New Page

--------------

Oooo that smell.   

Unfortunately (or fortunately) one does not just get rid of a slimer.

Start

0VoFM1h.jpg

Bucket full

fUkZ1Df.jpg

gljuVao.jpg

Finished.

I had to put the Horrida back together, it broke while moving the slimer, and I still have a huge patch of slimer base which is not movable so it will return but I WILL KEEP IT TRIMMED.  I can;t believe how much brighter the tank is.   I also pruned Xenia and the daisy start polyps.  Happily the daisy polyp mats come up easily, a lot easier than the damn xenia.

rVPcsbV.jpg

FB8Mbcf.jpg

I'm not done but this is a good first step.  I cannot describe just how much slimer there was.  The tank water level in the sump dropped well over an inch.   I trimmed up some other acros as well to give more light to some of the lower acros.   The entire tank is brighter now, even the right side.  

Dropped the doser amount by 100ml.  I would much rather run too low than have a spike.  KH is 6.4, low again, but as usual the tank was looking fantastic.

In exchange for the slimer ... and they'll give me more but this is all I grabbed for now.

9Z4te49.jpg

jwBjQsH.jpg

He is much more yellow than my last blenny ... and blue eyes is so damn cute.    Hopefully this is the start of another 5 year friendship.

• Like 9
  • Wow 2

Tank is struggling to remain at 6.5 KH but I'm close.  It appears the slimer was using about 25ml of two part daily.   I hit a lot of 5.9 KH, quickly brought it up to 6.5, it fell to 6.1 the next day, adjusted some more and brought it back up to 6.5 where it seems to be staying for now.  

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The skimmer overflowed Saturday night so Sunday morning, 6AM, I was cleaning it for the first time ever.  The foam head in the sump was epic, and thankfully all contained to the sump.  

The Reef Octopus bubble blaster pump is a tank of a pump, so easy to clean.  I'm still not sure what went wrong but I scraped the inside of the skimmer, made sure all the pipes and were clean and put it back in, output opened up all the way.  For the first 2 hours it continued to bubble like crazy, even fully open, and filled the cup about half way.  Since then it's slowly calmed down and I'm dialing it back in a half a crank at a time.

I suspect something got into the water or came in from the outside via the intake, but what?  Nothing died, acros look great, fish all seem healthy, and clown eggs still attached to the tank wall.   /shrug.   Skimmer sure works better now that it's been cleaned.  :)  I'll clean it again in 4 years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, slowngreen said:

Mines overflowed before and all it was, was a little bit of salt creep build up in the air line. 

That's what I was thinking as well but I couldn't find any problems.  I did clean out the line with vinegar and scraped away some buildup where it comes into the pump, but all in all it was pretty clear.  

• Like 1
On 11/12/2018 at 9:45 AM, DaveFason said:

Hows the tank now? Now that is has been a few weeks with no slimer I am curious if the parameters have leveled out.

Tanks is looking fantastic, the blue stag is turning blue again.  I tested KH and it's 5.1 /facepalm  so I'm raising it up.  But seriously, everything looks great.  I scraped the glass today, it was bad and neglected, will try and get pics tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Alk up to 6.5.  A few montis suffered, showing some skin loss, but I can't see any issues with any acro.   I guess I should add that the rainbow acan lost some flesh and the frogspawn is a little off. 

Latest pics.

GDIYQnJ.jpg

The blue stag has woken up with some odd growth, but it's growing.

7ZXrfCy.jpg

Hairy Horrida.  If I turned off the pumps all you could see would be polyps.

j1radMs.jpg

Miami Orchid.  Notice the multiple growth tips on just about every acro? 

Y09BpmY.jpg

S4JVuJQ.jpg

and frags

u62CcBb.jpg

PMT5Xq4.jpg

2mfpDWl.jpg

• Like 10
Polarcollision

Blenny? what kind? SPS look FABULOUS!

On 11/19/2018 at 3:11 PM, markalot said:

I ate too much.  lol  Talk about a fish that you never have problems feeding ... he was shy for about 15 minutes after adding to the tank.

M6QfHDM.jpg

4 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Blenny? what kind? SPS look FABULOUS!

Hi Polar, thanks.  He's a Midas.

I'm using 5 drops of Pohls Extra Special daily.  I keep forgetting to mention it and I think you had good results with it as well.   That and the occasional MicroE dose is all I add now.

Polarcollision
On 11/26/2018 at 4:44 PM, markalot said:

Hi Polar, thanks.  He's a Midas.

I'm using 5 drops of Pohls Extra Special daily.  I keep forgetting to mention it and I think you had good results with it as well.   That and the occasional MicroE dose is all I add now.

He’s a beautiful fish and seems as chill as any blenny. Yes! I did really like Pohls. It brought great colors out in montis that had faded. Getting similar results with some combo of the 4 redsea additives and acropower. No DSLR pics though, as my thread is dead. 😉 

That's a mere 430 ml of Calcium, all added at once.  Had to use the big mixing cup.

It appears that doser head is the issue, and since I replaced the head assembly it must be the motor.   I have my secondary unit hooked up (adds 4 extra pumps) so I'll be switching it over to one of those.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:11 PM, markalot said:

I ate too much.  lol  Talk about a fish that you never have problems feeding ... he was shy for about 15 minutes after adding to the tank.

M6QfHDM.jpg

That's what I looked like after Thanksgiving! Ha ha!  Seriously Mark, the tank looks amazing even with most of the slimer gone.  I was kind of sad to see that but it was taking up more than its share of real estate.  Wow, seriously the sump went down an inch!  That's crazy.

• Like 1
On 12/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, vlangel said:

That's what I looked like after Thanksgiving! Ha ha!  Seriously Mark, the tank looks amazing even with most of the slimer gone.  I was kind of sad to see that but it was taking up more than its share of real estate.  Wow, seriously the sump went down an inch!  That's crazy.

Thanks Dawn, I paid a lot of money to grow that beast :)  I don't miss it, but it's rapidly coming back from the base.  Going to be a constant battle to keep it trimmed small. :)

Top downs,

Horrida

MAfTUki.jpg

5WD9jAe.jpg

Lokani

K1BmilY.jpg

Horrida is on the left, Red cap in back and Setosa in the middle, now free of the slimer shade.  I placed a branch of Miami Orchid in back to compete with the slimer.

nwxgkuX.jpg

This little red unknown is coming back strong.

hPNkuzM.jpg

Unique Corals misnamed unknown.  Not what I bought but it survived the crash and there it is.

m4SOTd1.jpg

The not so little anymore mystery acro.  It's starting to grow more like the Katropora, just a different set of colors.  

vhJtDdH.jpg

Since fixing the calcium issue the Red Robin has actually stayed red.  I can't think of anything else I've changed except possibly the daily dosing of Pohls Extra super duper special.

EZyz6Ul.jpg

7OWGnMT.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 4

nwxgkuX.jpg

Looks like the green slimer is seeking revenge by creeping up the stag....

The rest of the photoset is amazing as always.  I recall reading your posts back when red was the color you had trouble with, especially with the red robin, glad to hear that you might have found a solution.

• Like 1