A Little Blue
25 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

I usually run my tank at about 9- 10 kh

But I've never tested at 6am lol

You should try it. 

1 hour ago, dferrari13 said:

I usually run my tank at about 9- 10 kh

But I've never tested at 6am lol

I run my KH between 6.5 and 7 which is near natural seawater levels.  Higher KH is fine for most corals but Acropora is easier at natural levels.   :)

I am testing to determining daily usage since my corals are pretty large and use a LOT of Alk.  For most tanks this is not an issue and testing at the same time each day and dosing accordingly is perfectly fine.  I did for years without issue.  

So, I did my testing.  I’m getting about a .3 swing, but I’m corals are still young.  

Seems alk is lowest for me around 8-10pm, highest at 8-11am.

i guess it revovles around your photperiod.  

• Like 1

-May 29th-

9.3 at 4pm
8.8 at 6:30pm
8.6 at 8:30pm

-May 30st-
8.5 at 6AM
8.1 at 4PM 

7.9 at 6:30PM

7.7 at 8:30PM

-May 31st-

8.0 at 6:30AM

----

-June 2nd-

7.3 at 7PM

-June 3rd-

7.7 at 9AM

8.0 at 1PM

7.6 at 6PM

- June 4th-

7.3 at 6AM

6.7 at 7:30PM

Putting these into a graph to see what it looks like.

mitten_reef

The one section that really busted your trend is June 3rd numbers. 

Do you have your led light on the weather mimicking schedule, or is it constant?  If the weather program said less light on June 3rd, it could be why consumption slowed down, and alk reading went up? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

The one section that really busted your trend is June 3rd numbers. 

Do you have your led light on the weather mimicking schedule, or is it constant?  If the weather program said less light on June 3rd, it could be why consumption slowed down, and alk reading went up? 

LED are always constant, no weather, no clouds, no storms, no gimmicks.  :)  Alk consumption is increasing fast now so I am super interested in tomorrow mornings reading.  I expect higher unless I screw up the measurement, which is what I think happened on the 3rd.   Dosers will go on tomorrow at 10AM and off at 10PM.  I expect Alk to drop too low if I don't, and I'm not dosing enough in 12 hours to cause any issues.  I will measure Alk tomorrow morning at 6AM, tomorrow afternoon at 4PM and 8PM, give or take a few minutes.

BTW, coral color was fantastic when the power came back on.  Red Robin was blood red.   Not sure what this means. No way I'm giving them a day off and screwing up the dosing but perhaps it's a sign my light cycle is too long?

My prediction is morning Alk at 7.0, 4PM at < 6.7, 8PM at 6.5.  If it stays at 7 then dosing is too high, 6.7 just right.  All depends how fast acros continue to grow.

• Like 2

Doser set to turn on at 10AM and off at 10PM.  120ml over 24 hours means 5ml per dose so I shoudl dose 60ml while it's on, though I may want to extend the time a but to make sure I get all 12.   

Calculator says 60ml of the two part I use will add aprox .6 KH.  Yesterdays drop, assuming some testing errors, looked to be about .8KH which means at 8PM I may be down to 6.5 KH.

Definitely perhaps a maybe.  The important thing is I should not spike Alk .. I would like to thing anyway.  I don't mind bouncing along the bottom for a bit until I get the dosing right.  

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Mine was 6.9 last night 🙂 

Might increase the dose a few ML. Corals seem slightly pale, not sure if that’s related or if nutrients have gotten too low while I have a full time job. 

• Like 1

awSaUS3.png

Still seeing the slight rise overnight due to Kalk.  I think having the doser on 10am to 10pm will work well even though Alk will rise slightly before peak lighting comes on.  It's better than 24/7 dosing, that's for sure.   I increased the doser settings by 30ml (15 ml since only on for 12 hours) to try and level out the 4pm to 8pm drop.  Calculator says 10ml required but i figure usage is still climbing so 15 should work.  I'm getting really sick of testing!

Target is still 7, though 6.7 is just fine if that's where it lands.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Do you sleep?

10pm till 5:30am.  Makes one wonder why I keep LEDs on until 10:30.

Mostly captured the color of the Horrida while the pumps were off.  So far it looks like I might have escaped any severe damage from the Alk spike.

7ZbWWwr.jpg

What remains of the Lokani colony is suddenly encrusting like crazy and looking super healthy again.  

MPPpBWB.jpg

White tips on the crazy bird are very short, so rapid growth has not started back yet.  

SiIN4mZ.jpg

• Like 3

Forgot one.

Damn thing gained color, as most acros did, during outage.   Picture captures the colors fairly well.  It's a minty color with a pink blush ... pink is washed out in these pics.  Most important. looks good  under DAYLIGHT lighting.  

s41iYHY.jpg

• Like 4

A couple more.  Here is the other suffering coral that I believe is now on the mend.  Base has a hard edge and polyp extension improving near the tips.  This also captures part of the slimer base as it rolls over the landscape like green lava. :D

JZNESHA.jpg

The next pic looks cool because the pumps are off.  I was trying to show the distorted tips from the Alk spike.  Most stags have this damage, you can also see it a little on the out of focus Miami Orchid in the previous pic.  Not all tips affected, but this is a sure sign of Alk issues and seems to be just before tip burn becomes evident.  

b0NiyIh.jpg

The damaged branches in back are due to the flow pump blasting them.  Somehow it's still able to grow branches into the flow with only half the branch alive.

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Why not try a 8-9 hour schedule? 

Good question, I think that's a good idea.  That's where I'll probably end up, 1 hour at a time.