Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can this Candy Cane be saved?

Cool Beans

I've had this for a couple months now. The splitting head in the front was a single and half that size. It has been steadily growing since acclimation. The 2 small heads in the back were tiny and starting to split when I got it, but never grew at all. They never seemed sickly, but over the last couple weeks the base tissue has been receeding and algea has been growing on the fresh skeleton. I have no idea what to do. . .no snails eat it, I do regular water changes, water parameters are fine. . .everything else is growing like a champ. The birdsnest frag has tripled in size in the time I've had the CC coral.

Is there anything I can do?

post-82842-0-49692900-1402609833_thumb.jpg

If you can pull the frag out and do a peroxide dip, that should help. Candy canes are invincible. I've had one grow back from an invisible amount of tissue.

I guess I can break the coral off the rockwork then reglue it. Or maybe, break that head off the main branch, treat, and reglue to coral? Do I just fill a cup with Food Lion brand Peroxide and dunk it in there for a few seconds?

Thanks!

Fingers crossed! I popped the coral off and dipped as suggested, the small polyps did not look happy at all. . .but hopefully it worked. I stuck them in the sand for now. How long before it is evident this worked?

Thanks!

The algae should be noticeably dead very soon. Then it's just hoping the candy cane grows over the skeleton before any other algae grows.

Archived