SaltCritters.com

Cheato Covered in Algae, suggestions?

mccorvic

Wasn't sure which sub-forum to post this in, but here goes.

Tank: Nuvo 16

I have the refugium on the tank with a small clump of cheato and on a reverse light cycle to help with the ph swings and it was doing a great job for about a month. Then two things happened:

1. The two gobies I had in my tank got ich so had to get them into a QT.
2. I think I may have removed to much Cheato in my last cleaning session.

Anyways, my little cheato ball is completely covered in what looks to be hair algae. I'm not sure what would have caused this to happen, but am looking for suggestions on how to deal with the hair algae back there.

Nanofreak79

Not enough flow. Take the cheato and swish it in some WC water or clean, freshly mixed water. Doing this should remove the nastie build up. Then figure out a way to get it some better flow. Clean out the chamber to remove any algae remaining in there as well.

Not enough flow. Take the cheato and swish it in some WC water or clean, freshly mixed water. Doing this should remove the nastie build up. Then figure out a way to get it some better flow. Clean out the chamber to remove any algae remaining in there as well.

Actually, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of it, but I put a Spin Stream nozzle on right before I started noticing the problem. I did notice that the pump wasn't working quite as fast after I put it on...

Archived