SaltCritters.com

29 BioCube Retro Review

arcticwolf1969

arcticwolf1969

This light was not real hard to install, for me, having a bit of electrical and mechanical skills. Stripped out everything inside the hood including power cords… saved the cord grommets to reuse. 2 led fixtures recessed into a 12inch or so long nice aluminum heat sink.

For future installers.

Issue … to mount the heat sink on the original reflector, the center ridge is flush against the fan, leaving no way for air to flow. No hardware included for mounting. Use Small machine screws and an extra nut to use for a spacer between the fan and the reflector to get air flow. Or, like I did, use a dremel and notch out a gap in the center ridge. Use the original grommets over the led power wire and fan power wire to keep the light pod water proof. The hood has a large power feed for the lights and a small power feed for the leds, on the rightside … and a large power cord on the left side for the fans. Those two holes on the left worked perfect to mount the new wire jacks. No cords to run outside and hang loose, just plug into jacks …nice.

Light impressions … nice build quality … controllability … seems to be WAY OVERPOWERED! Playing around cranking it to max ….WOW … looks like it could give serious sunburns or drill a hole thru the bottom of the tank….LOL. Does not seem possible to ever need to go over 50% just based on brightness levels … but what do I know … maybe corals like it that bright and I just need to wear sunglasses if I ever want to look at the tank.

Storm controller does take some playing with to figure out, but once you realize how it works it is simple. The led brightness is insane. It is like a 25watt blue night light in my bedroom. Mounted on the wall beside the tank.

Love this light

THANKS DAVE

Sounds like a nice install. Any pics? I'd like to compare your install to mine. I have a thread on page 2 if you'd like to take a look.

Archived