JBJ RL 30 Return Pump Upgrade Question

NanoBiscuit

NanoBiscuit

So I want to know if anyone has an opinion or has tried to replace the two stock return pumps on the JBJ RL 30. What I would like to do is remove both stock Accela pumps rated at 265 GPH each and replace them with a single Sicce Syncra 1.5 (357 GPH) run through a barbed Y fitting. Now I know this will be less total flow coming from the return but I personally don't like how over powered the dual pumps seem to be right now. I will make up for the lack of flow from the return with my wp-10 and an additional power head if needed in the display.

Has anyone tried it? I don't see why it wouldn't work considering I won't be pushing more water than the stock pumps.

Thanks!

Hmmm interesting StevieT. But why would one want to downgrade the pumps?

This hobby is all about upgrading to the max!! ?

Hmmm interesting StevieT. But why would one want to downgrade the pumps?

This hobby is all about upgrading to the max!!

True, but with an AIO there is plenty of filtration turn over already and sometimes it is helpful to downgrade to keep open other upgrade options or to keep a better water level in the display. More flow is needed in the display, not often in the rear chamber.

famousdan314

I did this exact upgrade with my JBJ 30, removed both pumps and upgraded to a single return pump with a Y fitting. Works like a charm and i don't have to worry about two plugs and two pumps to keep clean.

this is the pump I am using. its quiet strong and I have it dialed down just a tad, it was noisy at first and then it quieted down immensely after removing the base and placing a piece of foam down.

Jebo ap3500 660 gph return pump (added "Y" fitting)

NanoBiscuit
I did this exact upgrade with my JBJ 30, removed both pumps and upgraded to a single return pump with a Y fitting. Works like a charm and i don't have to worry about two plugs and two pumps to keep clean.

this is the pump I am using. its quiet strong and I have it dialed down just a tad, it was noisy at first and then it quieted down immensely after removing the base and placing a piece of foam down.

Jaebo a3500 660 gph return pump (added "Y" fitting)

Where did you order your return pump from? I'm not having any luck finding it online. Is the pump output controllable or are you using a valve to turn it down?

famousdan314

Where did you order your return pump from? I'm not having any luck finding it online. Is the pump output controllable or are you using a valve to turn it down?

I purchased it from my LFS, but you should be able to buy it on amazon or something similar, I'll copy a link at the bottom. It's possible the model number may have changed so just shop for jaebo return pumps and look at the gph. (Made an edit to my previous post probably why you couldnt find it, its made by jebo)

My pump has a dial face on the impeller intake that restricts flow, but I'm sure you could also pick up a simple ball valve from your LFS.

http://www.amazon.com/JEBO-AP3500-Aquarium-Water-660GPH/dp/B00EQ6MBZQ

Or if you prefer Rio pumps you could go with this one. I've purchased a RIO before and they come with a series of adapters for gating down flow and other attachments.

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Plus-1700-Aqua-Pump/dp/B000LSVAI2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_21?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZFX7SC9EPRZWM0DYCDG

famousdan314

I also looked at the syncra pumps I think the 2.0 would be optimal flow with a controllable valve to tune it to your needs. I would make sure to pay close attention to the pump sizes as my pump squeezed in just right without hitting the walls.

NanoBiscuit

Thanks, I'll take a look at these. I looked at the Sicce 2.0 but I would have to use an adaptor to get the plumbing from 3/4" to 1/2", not the end of the world to have to do that but figured it would be easier with the 1.5 which is already 1/2".

famousdan314

Thanks, I'll take a look at these. I looked at the Sicce 2.0 but I would have to use an adaptor to get the plumbing from 3/4" to 1/2", not the end of the world to have to do that but figured it would be easier with the 1.5 which is already 1/2".

Ok, up to you how you do it. My pump had this same issue you dont need an extra adapter, just purchase a Y fitting that goes from 3/4" to two 1/2" hoses to connect to the stock fittings. You just need a small piece of 3/4" hose about 6-8" then the Y fitting then the smaller stock 1/2" hose. You can purchase the hose at home depot by the foot.

Remember the pump you put in is rated at x amount of gph that's with optimal conditions with no elevation loss or friction loss from the adaptors. So you may loose up to 50 gph just from the get go, my advice is to get something comparable to the stock pumps flow and use a dial or gate to slow down the flow. Its easier to turn the flow down than realize I should have gotten a bigger pump and have to deal with dismantling and returning. Just my .02$

NanoBiscuit

That's a good point with regards to getting a 3/4" to 2 x 1/2" y-fitting, I'll probably just do that if I find a pump I like. Thanks again.

famousdan314

No problem, if you have any other questions regarding the tank or set up feel free to ask or visit my thread.

Archived