Pod Your Reef

Lighting as well

reefskunk

Im starting a cheapo reef, consisting of the standard rectangular 10 g tank with a wood canopy, a penguin 170 with chemipure (chemipure saved my other 18 tall reef from disaster), and two NO 15w lights, one actinic and one powerglo. Since the tank is shallow, and i have a fluval 1 for low current, is this enough? Another thing, if circulation is needed to blow debris off the corals, and mushrooms desire low current, will the fluval and the penguin be enough?

-a

forgot to mention this will be a multi mushroom setup with only one fish, and i also need advice on what is a good skimmer for less than 100 bucks to slap on this tank?

I think you might have enough water movement if you set the Fluval 1 to blow across or against the outflow from the Penguin. I tried a power filter on my 10g for a while and didn't like it. The water flow came into the tank at a bad angle and the corals weren't happy. You might try putting the Chemipure stuff in a filter bag in the Fluval's filter box, and then adding a MiniJet and removing the Penguin. BTW, I keep PhosGuard in the bottom half of the Fluval's media tube. Is the Chemipure stuff too fine a grain to stay in the media tube?

I think if you keep up the water changes, you can skip the skimmer on a 10g. I checked on the BakPak, and it'd have to hang over the edge of the table to fit on this tank. One thing that can work, if you don't mind modifying the sucker, is a Skilter. One guy I know made the skimmer tower taller, disabled the venturi that comes with it, and added a limewood airstone on a decent air pump.

printerdown01

No need for a skimmer on a 10 gallon, HONESTLY!!! IMO it won't be worth the money spent, even if your a pro and make one for $25! Instead use the money towards a lighting upgrade... How much $ are you spending on the lights (bulbs, ballasts and endcaps included)? You could slap a 32W PC everything included on there for about $52 including shipping... this would give you over 2X as much light (actually about 2.5-3 times as much light) in the tank... just a thought!

*If your are interested check out Chris' nano-reef store (on this site). If you want to go even cheaper you could check out hellolights.com or aquarium hardware supply -I think that is the name of it?? Personally I like CSL and trust the company as a whole...

Archived