Cultivated Reef

Weird looking hitch hiker ...

Cove

I threw in a piece of shrimp today for the cycle and I found SOMETHING feeding on it. It looked veiny and fat but the part that was eating the shrimp was thin and pointy. The way it moved from what I saw was that it was like some type of goo.. I couldn't get a picture of it and I can't seem to identify it on any hitch hikers guide.

What to do what to do..

yeah, a pic would be of great help. what does it resemble or look like? worm, crab, snail, shrimp, nudi, etc.? size & color helps.

It had veiny patterns on it and to me it looked like a slug. It moved like goo. Half of it was in the rock still when I saw it.

Polyclad flatworm, maybe?

BewbaxP.png

Did it look something like this? If yes, you need to get rid of it ASAP because it's predatory

This is it! But red.. How do I go about this?

Snow_Phoenix

This is it! But red.. How do I go about this?

I had a pink one running around my tank. It used to sneak out of its burrow at nighttime, and was like a blob. It took my dad and I a lot of struggling to get it out of the LR. We used forceps (tweezers), chopsticks etc. The thing wouldn't budge. We ended up removing the rock and isolating it in a separate QT tank with only an airstone. It popped out of the rock, I wrestled it into a container and threw it in a bin. The rest is history.

thesmallerthebetter

Put the shrimp im a container just out of reach of the burrow and when it goes in, quickly nab the container out and ta da no mo flatworm

Hmmmm a lot tougher than I though. Someone suggested me taking the rock out for two days and then baking it?

Snow_Phoenix

Hmmmm a lot tougher than I though. Someone suggested me taking the rock out for two days and then baking it?

Be careful when you cook rocks. Sometimes they might release fumes such as Palytoxin (all it takes is one hidden zoa somewhere in the rock) and you'll end up in the ER.

Here's my blobby flatworm that I removed:

L1h3rWd.png

Please don't bake or boil any live rock. When most people talk about cooking the rock they mean take it out of the tank and let it sit in saltwater for a few weeks in the dark with a pump for circulation.

Im going to take the rock to my LFS. One thing's for sure, is I'm never going to use live rock again! Way too many problems!!!

Archived