Missing Fish

NanoBiscuit

NanoBiscuit

So how long should I wait to come to the conclusion that a fish is gone if there is no sign of it?

I added my first fish to my JBJ 30g rimless nanocube on Saturday. It was a purple firefish that I drip acclimated for about an hour. I let him go in the tank and watched him for a second as he settled in. Before I put the cover on my tank, I walked away for no more than ten seconds, and when I came back the fish had disappeared. I started thinking "great it jumped already" and start looking around, behind, basically all over my tank for any sign. Nothing. I do have a very curious cat and dog who were both in the room so I started to suspect one of them possibly snatched it but again there was no evidence to that. It's been over 24 hours now and I haven't seen any sign of the fish alive or dead. I've shined a flashlight into every nook of live rock and can't find it. Is he gone? I tested my ammonia and it was 0 so there is no spike that would indicate he is dead and decaying in there.

A little background on my tank. It has been up a while with the cycle finishing in early March. I've actually had it stocked for a while now with a CUC, frags, and a cleaner shrimp with no issues. I love coral and inverts more so that's why I haven't picked up a fish yet. Also, this isn't my first reef tank, I did have one running successfully about 7 years ago.

Any input or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DriftingNemo

He's probably hiding and trying to settle in. When I first added my Royal Gramma, he hid in his cave for 4 days without coming out or feeding. Fish take a few weeks to properly settle in, your fish should be just fine. If you're really worried then I would suggest moving around your rocks to try and find him.

I had a molly miller missing a year before I found it alive in the sump. Well actually the kitchen floor he fell off when I was doing a major cleaning on the skimmer. I also a candy hogfish go missing for 2 weeks before he came out, I actually took every rock out of the tank twice before giving him up for dead then when I went to feed the tank he came out to eat.

Give him time, what kind of cuc do you have?

NanoBiscuit

We'll it looks like I was a little impatient. I fed some of the frozen food mix that the LFS was feeding him and out from the smallest hole pops my firefish. At least the cat and the dog are off the hook. :-)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Check the sump area! I've had my numerous jumpers to the rear chambers with my back turned!

NanoBiscuit
I had a molly miller missing a year before I found it alive in the sump. Well actually the kitchen floor he fell off when I was doing a major cleaning on the skimmer. I also a candy hogfish go missing for 2 weeks before he came out, I actually took every rock out of the tank twice before giving him up for dead then when I went to feed the tank he came out to eat.

Give him time, what kind of cuc do you have?

A year?!? Lol, I've heard stories of people missing fish only to have them end up in the sump while they are cleaning.

It's amazing how small of a hole or cave they can get into. I keep looking in the tank right where he is staying and still can't believe he was there the entire time.

A year?!? Lol, I've heard stories of people missing fish only to have them end up in the sump while they are cleaning.

It's amazing how small of a hole or cave they can get into. I keep looking in the tank right where he is staying and still can't believe he was there the entire time.

When I first setup my tank, the initial cuc had an emerald crab. Saw him daily for a month and then he disappeared. Found his shell a few days later but since we never saw him again, figured he had died. About 7 months later, I added 3 emerald crabs to the tank. Watched them for several days when I noticed something strange. I HAD 4 CRABS! Now all 4 are hiding. Don't dare add any more or the tank might get over ran with invisible emerald crabs. :)

NanoBiscuit

Well he is still in there but has only come out to grab a few bites of food then goes back to his hole. Hopefully when I add a new fish in a few weeks he will be more comfortable and come out more often.

NirvanaandTool

Well he is still in there but has only come out to grab a few bites of food then goes back to his hole. Hopefully when I add a new fish in a few weeks he will be more comfortable and come out more often.

Well that's a firefish for you. No matter how comfortable they get, they always remember where their bolt hole is. Pretty skittish fish and easily spooked.

Archived