Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

28G of open water.. 22/12

Wiinberg

So me and my gf got a new apartment, and i convinced her that it was time for a bigger tank.. :)

It's a custom build 28 gallon/108 liters, 35"L x 16"W x 12"H, with Optiwhite/iron free front glass.

c0jpx.jpg
07hx.jpg
hmd26.jpg
The overflow is a Ghost inspired DIY, got the parts cut today, just needs to be glued together.
jikf.jpg
Lighting will be 2 Kessil A350W, hanging from the ceiling. It's going to be an open top tank, thats why i got the glass edges polished.
q983.jpg
I'm also building the stand myself. Got most of it done this weekend, just needs to be sanded down and painted.
xnui.jpg
qfdx.jpg
a8hw.jpg
I've made the stand so that the tank will sit about 1/2" lower than the surface of the stand, this way the bottom silicone and the sand will be hidden from the front.
Cabinet doors.. Will be mounted with magnets, clean, no handles.
dnfl.jpg
kz57.jpg
The cabinet will contain a 14 gallon sump, with an Aqua Medic Turboflotor 500 Blue, DIY ATS, dosing unit with Balling Light and freshwater tank. I'm gonna try to make it as simple as possible.

Thanks guys, it means a lot :) The mail man came by today, and he brought goodies..

hu7p.jpg

10x 3w 660nm led's, heat sinks and power supply..

Fuge lights I assume? Edit: Woops, saw you mentioned an ATS.

That tank looks really awesome, great work on it so far, those dimensions are excellent. What are your stocking plans?

Haha, i might add that i live in Denmark, when i posted it, it was about 5 pm tuesday here ;)

No fuge, don't care much for it.. The amount of macroalgae that we can keep in a fuge is, in my opinion, nowhere near enough to be effective.. And it's pretty much useless for pulling out po4, in my experience :)

But yeah, i really like the dimensions, got a fellow reefer to make it, he does magic with glass..

Not sure about the stocking yet, but it's gonna be pretty open space towards the front, with small islands for acans and blastos. The back is hopefully gonna be dominated with acro in different colors, simulating the edge of a forrest (at least that's what i picture in my head).. More acans (i like acans haha), some encrusting monti..

Anyway, i got the inside part of the overflow glued today..

xv9l.jpg

2v8k.jpg

o4pr.jpg

Just need to sand the edges a bit and buff it real nice.. And do the outside box too. I have an exam on monday, so baby steps for now ;)

Thats one slim overflow. :D

Yep, just about 3/4" :D I still don't know if it should have been longer, but we'll see about that. I can always make another one :)

Well, couldn't wait any longer, just got the outside glued together. Just need to take care of the finish now.. :)

80q8.jpg
w3i5.jpg
608hy.jpg
wbje.jpg

Finally got the time to try my idea with light spillage. Bought a couple of 82mm lens hoods for a dslr lens and taped one to the Kessil i have over my current tank.

Before

ajd6.jpg

50ra.jpg

After

7ujhm.jpg

2wi6.jpg

Worked out pretty good, no disco floor anymore. And since it's a petal lens hood, it won't effect the spread of the light from side to side, only the light going over the front and back of the tank :)

That lens hood idea is pretty ingenious! The overflow system is pretty sweet too. Do you have an idea of what you'll be stocking fish wise? For some reason I always think wrasse look good in shallow tanks. Cant wait to see this thing get going!

Since i'll be having monti's, i'm definately going for a wrasse of some sorts.. Maybe a yellow or a six liner.. Gonna try to work out a small yellow tang and a couple of clowns too. And that's about it i think.. Yeah i'm also psyked to get this thing going, just got my new rocks today, so i'll be playing around with aqua scaping this weekend :)

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while.. I've finally moved and got the new tank set up. The overflow is running perfectly, although it could use a couple of bigger holes and a slightly larger box on the wet side.. Well, so far it works out pretty decent.

All there is to do now, is wait. Hopefully it'll be ready for a couple of fish and frags in 4 weeks or so :) I've already had brown algae, no signs of the greens yet.

bgqtAc.jpg

qql8Oc.jpg

Jey1og.jpg

oSzvzg.jpg

lKSE25.jpg

mDV1SH.jpg

I just need a pair of new pumps.. Was hoping for the Riptide, but i think i'm gonna end up with the new RW4 from Jebao. Hope you guys like it :)

JavaJacketOC

I'm not all that familiar with the par output under these Kessils. Would it be better to have the a little closer to the middle since that's where you'll probably have a lot of coral? Seems like you won't need much intensity on the edges of the tank and you still shouldn't any dark sports.

I'll be having monti's on the right side, just below the lamp, thats why they are so much off center. And the other one, to make it symetric to look at. But the spread is wide, and they only hang about 6-7 inches above the water, which is only about 11 inches deep. It should be plenty of light for every type of coral :)

So, waiting 4 weeks went down the drain today.. Despite the rain (first sign of should have stayed home) i went out on my bike to check out the lfs. He's only just started with saltwater so he didn't have anything exciting since he was waiting on his new skimmers and lighting. Despite that, i stumbled upon a lonely little yellow tail damsel that i think he had actually forgot about. I almost couldn't resist, but talked myself out of it.

When i came home, i decided to check my parameters, since i didn't have anything better to do (that's a lie, my gf had plenty of practical things for me to do).

No ammonia, no nitrite, nitrates barely measurable. Brown algae had come and gone. And a little voice said to me, from deep inside my head, "come pick me up".

So i did.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's an honor to present to you,

*insert lame cuddle teddy bear name here*

2PpRj2.jpg

v6sIsZ.jpg

He's a little pale on the yellow parts, but peace and quiet and intense feeding should help him get back in pristine condition.

JavaJacketOC

So, waiting 4 weeks went down the drain today.. Despite the rain (first sign of should have stayed home) i went out on my bike to check out the lfs. He's only just started with saltwater so he didn't have anything exciting since he was waiting on his new skimmers and lighting. Despite that, i stumbled upon a lonely little yellow tail damsel that i think he had actually forgot about. I almost couldn't resist, but talked myself out of it.

When i came home, i decided to check my parameters, since i didn't have anything better to do (that's a lie, my gf had plenty of practical things for me to do).

No ammonia, no nitrite, nitrates barely measurable. Brown algae had come and gone. And a little voice said to me, from deep inside my head, "come pick me up".

So i did.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's an honor to present to you,

*insert lame cuddle teddy bear name here*

2PpRj2.jpg

v6sIsZ.jpg

He's a little pale on the yellow parts, but peace and quiet and intense feeding should help him get back in pristine condition.

Looks like he has a lot of potential to color up....just hope he's not a complete jerk when you start to put other stuff in the tank.

Super cool, I added a yellow-tail damsel to my tank a few weeks ago, really cool little fish to watch. He digs like crazy though haha!

Archived