Pod Your Reef

tropic eden

Spiderguardnano

It sells out within a week when they get it in. Usually takes them 2-4 weeks to restock. It's a popular and awesome sand.

Spiderguardnano

i know the exact reason why i want to use this for my build so hopefully i can get a ETA so i can build my tank around it

i know the exact reason why i want to use this for my build so hopefully i can get a ETA so i can build my tank around it
I am stopping by there tomorrow see what I can find out for you if nobody responds.

Sorry - I know it's been 13 hours since you posted... Nano-Reef didn't send my email a notification of the new topic.

I'm checking on an ETA for the next batch, and I'll post it here as soon as I have confirmation.

Here's the story: There's a huge back-order on the larger grain substrates. The October 2013 order we placed for a full container is only going to be half-filled, and we're STILL waiting on the actual container it will be coming on to schedule a departure date. This batch of Reef Flakes may be the last one for a while, limiting availability for the foreseeable future to the Mini and the Snow. We don't really have any info beyond that at this point, since everything on that side of the world operates under a different concept of urgent, rush, or priority. I promise we'll keep you as updated as they keep us, so you'll have the best chance possible to get in on this shipment.

I agree wholeheartedly... Prior to the Reef Flakes, the only nice moderate-sized flake you could get was in the Carib-Sea #2 Special Grade Reef - and only in a 20lb. bag. The Carib-Sea has a wider range of flake sizes, ranging from mini-flake size to very small flakes of shell, contributing to a more naturalized look but the Tropic Eden is immaculate straight out of the bag, barely needing a rinse, and from batch to batch it's so uniform in size it's unbelievable. I really hope they're not running out of areas to collect it.

• 5 months later...

hi and I too am starting up a new build and would really like use tropic Eden reef flakes. Is there any time frame for another shipment arriving to PA ???

The following answer is exactly one month old today, direct from our owner in response to this same question on 11/3/14:

"Hi,

It's probably 2-3 months on the Reef Flakes, but we are not sure if Grand Select will ever come back, making the larger grain seems to be difficult for them. So mini and snow seems always available, but getting Reef Flakes is getting more and more difficult and we didn't any Grand select on our last shipment."

Well - there's really nothing EXACTLY like it. What I would use would be the Carib Sea #2 Special Grade Reef sand. It has a similar grain size on average, with just a little more variety overall in grains (larger and smaller sizes included in the mix) than theTE does.

Hi again and thanks for answering my questions. The tropic eden mini flakes are all 2mm in size ? What sizes did or does reef flakes vary from ?

I just saw a bag of Tropic Eden reef flakes today at the indy store.

Hi again and thanks for answering my questions. The tropic eden mini flakes are all 2mm in size ? What sizes did or does reef flakes vary from ?
mini flakes is like sugar sand.
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw a bag of Tropic Eden reef flakes today at the indy store.

Saamath, any idea if it is still there? The site shows it as out of stock.

I will ask if there are any bags around.

As to the mini flakes in higher flow, they tend to drift. You'll get a lopsided bed. You could mix them with a coarser sand to help, but it's a hassle when the Reef Flakes are already done.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo701.jpg

I can say for my part that its the best sand i ever saw and worked with . I mixed Reef flakes with miniflakes for my set up and have had great results no sand stoms and my buddy did all sugar size and even with 5 MP 40 in his 200G cube no sand storms either. Its also the cleanest of sand i ever saw you don't need to rince it at all.

My 75 Gallons starfire display refugium

Photo403-1.jpg

My 150 Gallon main Reef fed by gravity by the refugium

385.jpg

I have an incredible diversity of critters living in it , one reason is its perfect size for the housing of critters to make tunels it doesn't compact like the sugar size and a different mix like i did give options to different critters too.

This Cirratulid worm for instance populate by the thousands my sand. He's a detritus eaters ; so nothing stays long uneaten on my sand. One reason of course is i don't touch or syphon it, so they can build their home in peace.

242.jpg

You can see one here under the microscope in his burrow, in the sand.

141222113533765.jpg

In the video here you can appreciate life at their size.

I've counted 110 baby nassarius snails in my sand on evening with the naked eye, but these one still growing; are too small yet so you can imagine how much money i'll save if i leave them be and let them eat the left overs lol . I have no idea how many of those can be in all that sand.

141222113633319.jpg

849.jpg

Chanels made by worms and chemical reaction made by bacterias transforming elements

Photo916.jpg

Archived