SaltCritters.com

silversides?

Dr.Brain Coral

Dr.Brain Coral

I planning on a temperate tank and was planning on a navanax but the thing is feeding the navanax wouldnt leave much for the hermits and purple crab I am planning on getting also. So I was wondering if i could drop in a silver side and let them feast on that once or twice a week. This seems like it would be natural also as it would be like a fish died and sank to the bottom of the ocean.

I've heard that some people have used them to eat Montipora eating nudibranchs. I wouldn't think that they would eat fish (maybe snails as they get larger). I don't really know much about them. Are they a temperate species?

Dr.Brain Coral

oh I didn't mean the navanax but yes they are a temperate species but I believe they are also found in the gulf of mexico but I could be wrong. I meant the purple crab and the hermit crab eating the silver sides. The navanax I will feed shucked snails and scallops if he will eat them.

Can't go wrong with the small silversides - everything a body needs. They are relatively nutritionally balanced, unlike brine shrimp/squid/etc. It's also the type of food that the crabs would naturally encounter.

Dr.Brain Coral

Okay thanks. I figured since the navanax literally inhales it's food( look it up its so cool) there would be no left overs.

Archived