DaveMc's 36g Bow Front Build

DaveMc

Well it is that time. Thanks to my awesome wife who got me this new tank, it is time to start the build thread for it. I plan on using this thread to document the progress and growth of my new tank. First is a list of what I have so far, pics will follow...

• Tank: Aqueon 36g Bow Front - 24"L x 15"W x 21"H
  • Heater: 200 watt submersible
  • Filter: HOB MarineLand - Temporary
  • Fuge: 1g HOB Fuge - Temporary
  • Lights: OceanRevive Arctic-T247 Full Spec Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Light
  • Rock 1: 10lbs base rock from current 10g nano
  • Rock 2: 20lbs BRS Reef Saver Dry Rock
  • Rock 3: 10lbs BRS Tonga Complex Branch Dry Rock
  • Power Head(s): Hydor 240 x 1
  • Stand: Ordered and on the way.
Still to Purchase

• Power Head(s): Another Hydor 240
  • Sand: 40lbs Live Sand
  • Stand: Still Deciding
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus BH100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer
  • Reactor: CPR Mini Tumbler Media Reactor
  • ATO: AutoAqua Smart - Auto Top Off System
  • RO/DI: BRS 5 Stage RO/DI System - 75GPD
With this build I am looking at attempting to set it up with a "theme" called the lost city. I will be working with the aquascape to "try" and give it the appearance of a underwater city in ruin and in the center I plan on using the branching rock to create a "Tree of Life" that will host different corals to show life springing out from the ruins. (*Notice I said TRY above lol *)

Once it is setup and the cycle has been completed, I will be moving my livestock in my 10g nano over. These include...

• 1 black Ocellaris Clown Fish
  • 1 Firefish
  • 1 Yellow Watchman Goby
  • 2 Yellow and Black Chromis
  • 1 Feather Duster
  • 3 Sexy Shrimp
  • 1 Turbo Snail
  • 2 Astrea Snails
  • 2 Bumble Bee Snails
  • 1 Porcelain Crab
  • 4 Red Legged Hermits
  • 1 Candy Cane coral - 2 Heads
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Button Polyp Colony
  • Zoa Frag
From here I am looking at adding many other corals to help bring the scape to life. Feel free to follow along and comment if you like :).

I too have a 36g bowfront so will be following. Your "theme" is very intriguing and a very creative endeavor. Good luck, it should be fun!

About ready to start the build...just waiting for my stand to get here. Thought I would share some pics I have so far....

The tank, still in the box...

Newtank.jpg

The Lights...

OceanRevivet-247.jpg

Rock, just came in today

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

Rock3.jpg

Once the stand arrives I will start putting it all together and post pics of the progress that is to come. :)

Cool Dave! I see you are temporarily using a HOB filter. If you are thinking of a sump tank a 10g will fit in the Aqueon stand but the back brace needed to be moved from the inside to the outside of the stand to do it. Also a 10g won't fit through the doors once the tank is up and running so you need to put it in through the top of the stand before you put the tank on the stand. It works pretty well though. A 15gH has the same footprint but it doesn't leave you much room to work in the sump. Keep us posted!

Cool Dave! I see you are temporarily using a HOB filter. If you are thinking of a sump tank a 10g will fit in the Aqueon stand but the back brace needed to be moved from the inside to the outside of the stand to do it. Also a 10g won't fit through the doors once the tank is up and running so you need to put it in through the top of the stand before you put the tank on the stand. It works pretty well though. A 15gH has the same footprint but it doesn't leave you much room to work in the sump. Keep us posted!

I sure will and thanks for the advice vlangel :). The stand I got is different it isn't the aqueon so I don't forsee and issue right now. Once I get it home and setup I will see if this is the case and if so will add it in first to be safe.

Looks like a good start!

Thanks fishybusiness :).

Was hoping to do my leak test today but my stand didn't come in. Had to place another order now waiting until the 17th-20th for the delivery :angry:

Since the stand will be here tomorrow, I decided to un-box the tank and get the leak test started. Got it sitting on the floor int he dining room right now and in the process of filling it up.

Figured this would give plenty of time until the stand gets here tomorrow and then it's WOOT WOOT!!!! time to scape and get it wet.

1-Leak-Test.jpg

Day 1 of the Cycle

Finally....got it wet and filters going. Today starts day one of the cycle....got my shrimp in to get the ammonia going, tomorrow will be adding a piece of live rock to seed the rest of the rock after testing the salinity and temp. Wanted to wait 24 hours first.

The light is the stock light that came with the tank....do not like it at all, but wanted to light it up to see how things looked so far. Hopefully by next week I will be able to get a hanger and then will get my LED's up on it.

new36-1.jpg

Once it clears up more I will tank another pic and see if I can get a full shot with the stand also. Once the cycle is done I will be transferring more live rock in from the 10g along with a second power head.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 2 of the build and already the algae has arrived. Think I need a bigger cleanup crew lol.

Wow Dave, you got stuff in there! Are you testing ammonia and nitrites? That will help you know where you are at in the cycle. Your mushrooms and critters could be at risk if either ammonia or nitrites are high.

O BTW, I really like the scape!

Wow Dave, you got stuff in there! Are you testing ammonia and nitrites? That will help you know where you are at in the cycle. Your mushrooms and critters could be at risk if either ammonia or nitrites are high.

O BTW, I really like the scape!

Thanks vlangel! Yes all is perfect with the parameters. I actually too all the live rock out of my 10g and added it to the new tank and then acclimated my livestock. Haven't added anything new as of yet, gonna wait a few more weeks before I do. Also added some Bio Spira and everyone is happy with their new home. My zoa's are even looking better with the new light.

It looks great! Glad it cycled so quick for you. Its probably wise to hold off on new fish, like you said. Its amazing how fast a cuc will work on those diatoms though. My seahorse tank was really looking bad right after the cycle and I moved in 3 hermit crabs, a few micro stars that I pulled out of my filter and a snail and they had the diatoms cleaned up in no time. My name is Dawn BTW. Is it alright if I call you Dave?

It looks great! Glad it cycled so quick for you. Its probably wise to hold off on new fish, like you said. Its amazing how fast a cuc will work on those diatoms though. My seahorse tank was really looking bad right after the cycle and I moved in 3 hermit crabs, a few micro stars that I pulled out of my filter and a snail and they had the diatoms cleaned up in no time. My name is Dawn BTW. Is it alright if I call you Dave?

Thank you Dawn :). Yeah, I was shocked but I was told since the rock from my 10g was going in there then there should be enough BB to support the current livestock I have, and at the same time seed the new rock I have now. Was scared at first but all has went perfectly.

The CUC I got was good for my 10g but think I need to add a few more hermits snails and also want to get a serpent star to put in. I think that would work pretty good.

Of course you can call me Dave :), I answer to just about anything hahaha.

Archived