Pod Your Reef

Mangrove Questions

drfu

My lfs had a sale on mangrove pods so i bought 4, 3 for my fw 33 gallon tank & one extra. When i purchased them they were in a fw planted tank so im assuming they were acclimated for fw. I am trying to acclimate one by adding one pipette a day of salt water to see if it will grow in sw. I have a few questions if Imo successful:

1) is my acclimation process the right way of doing it?

2) my plan is to place it in the back fuge of a IM Nuvo 8, is this a good place to put it or does it need to go in the display tank?

3) if this works what is the rule of thumb for how many mangroves per gallon?

4) i have created an apparatus to force the roots to grow downward vs spreading outwards as i have heard that these can crack a tank if they spread out too far, thought on my gizmo?

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that mangroves become trees, I suggest only one in your Nuvo 8. I would think that it would outgrow the back compartment pretty quick.

In the long term, I would expect the roots to go where they want to go. I have seen interesting display tanks with a maze of mangrove roots providing a unique habitat for small fish.

Patrick

Considering that mangroves become trees, I suggest only one in your Nuvo 8. I would think that it would outgrow the back compartment pretty quick.

In the long term, I would expect the roots to go where they want to go. I have seen interesting display tanks with a maze of mangrove roots providing a unique habitat for small fish.

Patrick

Thanks for the tip, im not sure if its gonna make it unfortunately, after two weeks i have had no growth.

These are very slow growing plants that will not outgrow your tank all that quickly. As far as seed pods go or propagules as they are correctly called it takes 4-6 weeks in my experience to root. If you take a look at the bottom portion of the propagules when they start rooting you will see little bumps that will eventually turn white and have root growth. Also the upper tip will get slightly longer and start opening up as two leaves. The fact that they were switched from fresh to salt with no root growth will have little to no effect on the plant. Hope this helps and good luck!

These are very slow growing plants that will not outgrow your tank all that quickly. As far as seed pods go or propagules as they are correctly called it takes 4-6 weeks in my experience to root. If you take a look at the bottom portion of the propagules when they start rooting you will see little bumps that will eventually turn white and have root growth. Also the upper tip will get slightly longer and start opening up as two leaves. The fact that they were switched from fresh to salt with no root growth will have little to no effect on the plant. Hope this helps and good luck!

Because its just a propagules but does have tine little white roots sticking out of it what you are saying is it does not have to be acclimated if i read you correctly? If this is the case than thanks, i will wait for the tip to sprout in a couple of months then, thanks!

Correct, I would worry more about acclimation on full grown or rooted mangroves. On a propagule that you are rooting not so much.

Archived