Cultivated Reef

FS! strombus maculatus(nano conch) snails!

gulfsurfer101

I just inadvertently destroyed 20+ eggs I hadn't noticed on the back of my neo-therm heater. Put it in the quarterly vinegar bath to remove the coraline buildup and saw them 15 minutes later. :rolleyes:

Dammit.

gulfsurfer101
I just inadvertently destroyed 20+ eggs I hadn't noticed on the back of my neo-therm heater. Put it in the quarterly vinegar bath to remove the coraline buildup and saw them 15 minutes later. :rolleyes: Dammit.

I'm pretty sure my turbo's were destroying or eating the eggs in my 75g. Kinda taking out the comp I guess. What few strombus snails I have left were placed in a ten gallon with no other snails in hopes to recover the population. Until further notice, these are no longer available.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure my turbo's were destroying or eating the eggs in my 75g. Kinda taking out the comp I guess. What few strombus snails I have left were placed in a ten gallon with no other snails in hopes to recover the population. Until further notice, these are no longer available.

Interested in these when your population gets back on track. Please keep us posted.

• 1 month later...
jedimasterben

Just an FYI to anyone following. After doing some research, these snails are not Strombus maculatus, but are actually collumbellid snails, and the particular ones from gulfsurfer are Euplica scripta (formerly Pyrene versicolor). This, of course, does not diminish their usefulness, they are truly one of the best 'reef snails' that can be kept in our tanks, as they not only eat large amounts of film algaes but also breed readily and self-regulate their population. :)

I just wish I could share them. The original ten or so that I got from gulfsurfer in late May have steadily grown in population - and actually would have grown significantly more if I had not taken out a frag rack that contained nearly 50 egg sacks (whoops). I cannot sell or give any away, though, as my tank is infested with a toxic species of dinoflagellate that I do not wish for anyone else to acquire. The measures that it takes to ensure dinoflagellates are gone from equipment, rock, etc, requires acid washing, which the snails would not survive, otherwise I'd be sending out as many as I could, these things are worth spreading around!

gulfsurfer101

Been a while since I've been on here. I just moved my 75 and kinda dropped the whole nano scene for a minute. I threw everything including these snails in the 75g for now. Once my house is finished completely, I'll most likely start another nano with all my spare equipment.

• Like 1

Been a while since I've been on here. I just moved my 75 and kinda dropped the whole nano scene for a minute. I threw everything including these snails in the 75g for now. Once my house is finished completely, I'll most likely start another nano with all my spare equipment.

Still interested in the nano conch so please keep us posted on your progress and when you are ready to ship!

• 1 month later...

I have a huge population of these, but mostly sell locally. I will probably offer them in the spring time as being winter I cannot ship these without a heat pack and for that price it would be hard to do. Not trying to highjack the post, just seems like a lot of people are in line for these, they are awesome little snails that I have in all 5 of my tanks.

• Like 2

I have a huge population of these, but mostly sell locally. I will probably offer them in the spring time as being winter I cannot ship these without a heat pack and for that price it would be hard to do. Not trying to highjack the post, just seems like a lot of people are in line for these, they are awesome little snails that I have in all 5 of my tanks.

Let us know when you are open for business!

Let us know when you are open for business!

I'm going to ship out a few orders this week to people who are in surrounding states, and depending how well these go I may open it up a bit after that.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to ship out a few orders this week to people who are in surrounding states, and depending how well these go I may open it up a bit after that.

Mine arrived today, packaged very nicely and in great condition. A short while after acclimation they were moving around and eating off the glass. Thanks!

• Recommended Discussions