Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval 5 Gallon to Fluval EVO 13.5 to Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Peninsula

NanoReefNoobie86

wow my jaw literally dropped when I saw what happened to your tank from over heating..After reading the entire thread it was awesome to see the evolution of your tank. I just started a fluvial Spec V and have had past experience with both reef and freshwater tanks so any advice or regrets that you can think of shoot them this way! Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks man. I have experienced some bleaching in my corals, for example my trachyphyllia has turned almost completely white, you can see it in the picture I posted above. I am not sure if that has anything to do with my lighting or not. All my parameters check out good, Ive been trying to feed it more often to see if I can bring it back. As far as changes I am looking into getting the cobalt aquatics neo therm heater and maybe changing out my lights later down the road. But for now I am using my old heater that I use to mix my salt water.

The tank was doing well for almost 2 years before the heating issue. I haven't had much salinity issues, only in the summer time when I run the small fan to cool down the tank is when I get a lot of water evaporation. Just using my old heater that I used to mix my salt for now, planning on getting a cobalt aquatics neo therm heater soon.

What Watt Heater do you plan on getting? 50 or 25?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
NanoReefNoobie86

UPDATE***

Just giving you guys an update that I have switched over to a slightly bigger tank, the Fluval Evo 13.5g! And of course here are some pics and my daughter making an appearance helping me keep the glass nice and clean!

DSC_8842_LR.jpg

DSC_8863_LR.jpg

DSC_8843_LR.jpg

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...
NanoReefNoobie86
13 hours ago, Arquisto said:

What a great thread to read through! The photos are really inspiring.

Thank you Arquisto, I appreciate that! You reminded that I should update this thread!

UPDATE: So I've recently moved from NJ to TX. Shipped my corals and ended up losing my two most prized pieces, my torch and frogspawn. I got them as tiny frags and you can see how much they have grown in the pics above, so I'm pretty bummed about that but I recently replaced them with frags from a local reefer down here in TX. Also lost my clownfish and cleaner shrimp. As for other changes, Ive added the PS2 Protein Skimmer along with a different scape, and most recently picked up this awesome scoly for myself as a christmas/birthday present! Onto the pics! Have a safe and Happy New Year reefers!

48897664_2131747713535675_18038659061750

DSC_9343_LR.jpg

DSC_9331_LR.jpg

The new scoly and probably the most $$ I've spent on any coral in this tank. But loving it!

DSC_9355_LR.jpg

and finally, this was the lone survivor of the trip. I've had this guy since the beginning, you can go back to my first page and see him. This little dude is indestructible! Love him!

• Like 9
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
NanoReefNoobie86
42 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How are you and your nano reef settling in to the new home @NanoReefNoobie86? Hope you're well!

Doing great thanks for asking! Will be heading to Aquashella in Dallas this weekend! Look for updated pics soon! 👍

• Like 1
  • NanoReefNoobie86 changed the title to Fluval 5 Gallon Nano Reef Tank Now Fluval Evo 13.5
NanoReefNoobie86

Updated pics! Grabbed this gorgeous gorgonian at the Texas Coral Fest this past weekend. Unfortunately it was an impulse buy and after doing research it seems like these are NPS and require a ton of feeding, they dont seem to do well in most tanks. But here are some pics.

may 2019.jpg

may 2019_4.jpg

may 2019_3.jpg

may 2019_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
NanoReefNoobie86
On 8/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Such a beautiful system @NanoReefNoobie86! How has the summer been treating you? What's new on the reef? 🙂 

Man I have been super busy the past few months, bought a house, went to Vietnam, life etc, sorry for getting back so late. Here are a few updated pics I managed to snap.

DSC_1689_LR.thumb.jpg.db978aabd3b9bedb891e7b623e6670a1.jpg

DSC_0780_LR.thumb.jpg.30a1db694aa7d4ea6bf57439bb3cf99b.jpg

I don't know if this is allowed, I apologize if it is against the rules, but I also started designing some fish related t-shirts! If anyone is interested in purchasing let me know! They are available in my etsy shop (www.etsy.com/shop/lazymundayz). FREE SHIPPING on orders over $35! I also have an Instagram account @lazymundayz where I post fish related illustrations and giveaways! 

1169598565_IGlaunchpost.jpg.c623f73c3fd6fc1bc5db42e4d706f71b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • NanoReefNoobie86 changed the title to Fluval 5 Gallon to Fluval EVO 13.5 to Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Peninsula
NanoReefNoobie86

Didn't want to start a new thread, I've upgraded from the Fluval 13.5 Evo to the Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Peninsula! Moved everything over from the EVO about a month ago. Here a few pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 11:21 PM, NanoReefNoobie86 said:

Didn't want to start a new thread, I've upgraded from the Fluval 13.5 Evo to the Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Peninsula! Moved everything over from the EVO about a month ago. Here a few pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow great job and beautiful pics. Its awesome to see the multiple rebirths of this tank. Beautiful and unique every time.

• Like 1