Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval 5 Gallon to Fluval EVO 13.5 to Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Peninsula

NanoReefNoobie86

NanoReefNoobie86

yikes didnt know peppermints eat coral, I only got him to get rid of the aiptasia. Will definitely be returning him as soon as a put corals in. Any idea on what is the best way to get him out? With the fluval its tough cause of the small opening, I was thinking putting food in a net and then scooping him up. So would a skunk shrimp be a better replacement?

Kijho I did a small water change when i was acclimating the CUC with the drip method so i just replaced the water that was taken out.

• 4 weeks later...
NanoReefNoob86

Hey guys im still here lol. So been a few weeks and my tank is not doing so great :( So let just start of with my parameters. Its now day 31 and my water parameters are.

Ph=8.0
Am=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0
Calcium=440

Salinity=1.025

I dont have any test kits for phosphates, kh etc. I have been topping off and doing about 25% water changes every week. heres a list of my current livestock.

2 snails

1 hermit crab

1 peppermint shrimp

1 clown fish

eagle eye zoanthids

pulsing xenia

galaxea

FTS from today.

post-84825-0-21448100-1404263161_thumb.jpg

eagle eye zoanthid. These guys just started opening up after a week of being closed.

post-84825-0-44363400-1404263258_thumb.jpg

Pulsing xenia.

post-84825-0-76254100-1404263333_thumb.jpg

And here is my biggest problem. My galaxea coral looks real bad ever since i put it in my tank. It has pretty much looked like this for a week. Could it be my peppermint shrimp? Are my water parameters not correct for these guys? Is it too late to save him? Any help would be appreciated thank you guys!

post-84825-0-01977900-1404263589_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just noticed this thread today and i read through it reading all the suggestions and questions that everyone has been asking this gentleman but I did not see the most important question I would have asked right up front.

Where did you get the water that you initially used and what type water are you using for water changes and top offs.

The OPs answer to this question might shed some light on some of his issues?

NanoReefNoob86

aviator,

Thank you for replying, i feel like i have been talking to myself the last few weeks lol. As to your question I have been using RO water from my LFS and mixing with Tropic Marin salt..

Have you ever tested their water before it's put in the tank.

You could try distilled water from a walmart or any other store similar should carry it.

Are you using any mechanical filtration, maybe change it out.

Two fish is a little much also I'd say if you are to remove one, the clown because they are little poop machines

NanoReefNoob86

I have never tested the water before adding to the tank. What kind of parameters should I be looking for when i test it? Should I test before I mix the salt or after? or both?

You should be looking for absolute zeroes. Besides why would you add dirty water. Test every parameter you has the test for maybe next time you get water buy a phosphate test cuz that could be causing a lot of problems. Phosphate should be around 0.02 no higher. Everything else zero. ( don't test calcium and alkalinity) if you have ph test 7.8-8.2

Also test before and after you mix test to see if salts changing parameters it may be time for new brand of salt

• Like 1
NanoReefNoob86

Ok I will be sure to test my water before and after adding salt. I have the api test kit (ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) also have the red sea test kit (calcium, mg, kh, phosphate). My tank paramaters as of yesterday were.

Ph=8.0

Am=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=0

Calcium=410

Mg=1200

Kh=7.8

Phosphate=0.02

Salinity=1.025

The reason i asked about the water is that it's very unusual to have any nitrates at all just after starting the tank unless the water you are using has nitrates to begin with (which it should not).

Just do all the same tests on the water you get from the LFS as you do on your tank but test before any salt or anything else is added to it...Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PO4 should all be zero. also test for PH and alkalinity if your able.

Post the results and it will help us help you. AVIATOR300

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
NanoReefNoobie86

haha yea, the thing is growing like crazy! if you scroll up a few post you can see it in my earlier pics and now it is taking over my tank! lol

I haven't touched it at all, it doesnt seem to be bothering anything so i just kind of left it. Just curious as to what it is and if i should leave it or take it out.

NanoReefNoobie86

thanks xiaoxiy! I guess its harmless and Ill keep it till it gets too big and blocks everything else lol.

Frag it and sell it $$$$

hmmm, i might just do that! ill see it might grow on me.

• NanoReefNoobie86 changed the title to Fluval 5 Gallon to Fluval EVO 13.5 to Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Peninsula