ReefCleaners.org

FOUND: Anemones from Myrtle Beach

mechishark7

mechishark7

I found these anemones washed up in some tidal pools in North Myrtle Beach after a few windy days with rough surf. I have them in a 24 oz pickle jar that I do full water changes daily and leave the jar on our balcony in indirect sunlight since our condo is about 65 degrees with the AC. I'm keeping them in the jar until I can bring ten home on saturday and put them in my tank at home. I've never had anemones before and have no clue how to care for them, please help.

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO CARE FOR THEM?

95E04CB9-C64D-42F8-8A44-544C2BBD90EA_zps

042FEF3D-93F8-4644-A523-F6CBBEFB8EA5_zps

2BAF7394-10AB-4FA9-B240-391D57509B70_zps

FlowerMama

leave them in the ocean to take care of them. They could totally bring something into your tank you don't expect.

You took them. It is illegal to put anything into the ocean including stuff that you personally took out to begin with. First step is to find out the species. I'm not too familiar with myrtle beach. Isn't that temperate water?

I am not for sure but it looks like it might be Paranthus rapiformis there doesn't seem to be much information on them in aquariums . I know a few people in NC have tanks that are made of of strictly things from this area. I also heard a story of someone taking what they thought was a close relative of the lawnmower blenny only to find out that is was worse than any damsel they ever owned.

What a lot of people don't realize most of the animals that we keep in your aquariums come directly out of the ocean, The mortality rate is 98%. Scary isn't it when a fish jumps out of the tank that means nearly 100 more will be caught to replace it. http://news.mongabay.com/2013/1022-millar-aquarium-trade-deaths.html

Stress can cause disease I don't think putting it back into the ocean is the best idea,

mechishark7

Wow, alright for those who think I practically stole them from their pristine habitat, Myrtle beach is all sand. I did not find these in a beautiful secluded rock tidal pool you see in areas like maine or hawaii that are practically full ecosystems of their own, they were rolling around in 2 inches of water in a puddle on the beach. Another hour and the tide would have gone completely out and they would've dried up. And the whole put them back in the ocean thing, there were strong winds and surf which is why they washed up in the first place, so don't you think tossing them back would just make them wash up again? Anyone want to reevaluate their nagging comments and provide some actual advice or help to me?

Their argument is that you took an animal in that you have no clue on how to care for. Even though the anemones washed up on the sand bar, that could have been washed back out. We will never know because they were removed by you. Another way to see this is: Would you do the same with a stray dog that runs in your yard or if a whale gets "beached" would you attempt to take it home? Ideally somethings are better left in the hands of wilderness to decide its fate.

Just my comment for the morning......

I think your heart was in the right place and nobody can fault you there, but agree with the comments. Put them back...probably do better in the wild.

Yea, I've never picked up anything from the beach, and I never collected seeds in a state park either. :)

Don't put them back if they have been in contact with another reef tank, even close to one, even if there doesn't appear to be any cross contamination but maybe a tool was used in both. Too much risk of introducing something bad.

If this is your only sea life then yea, put them back.

Dr.Brain Coral

I think once you take them don't put them back in. They look healthy and they are open so do what you think would be best. But also if they do die in your tank they will nuke it so keep that in mind.

You have destroyed the ecosystem forever and the balance of the earth. There is no going forward now, you must go backwards in time and retrace your every step before raped nature from the natural pool these resided on. If you do no do this, every liberal eco nut will be at your door step demanding donations or threaten to make you enemy #1.

patrickbruno91

Since you now have them in your possession, do you have another tank you can put them in like a QT tank?

probably was not the best idea to pick them up with out any experience or knowledge of care in regards to anemones.

Edit: try to pick up some silverside or raw shrimp and attempt to feed them a small piece.

Mo' fcka, I wasn't nagging. I was pointing out that you had it, "harm" is done, don't listen about putting it back. Just find out what species it is.

jedimasterben

Anything up there will realistically need a temperate tank (so water in the 50-60ish range) and are nonphotosynthetic. Keep that in mind.

badfish816

once you take something it is illegal to put it back. so all those saying he doesnt know what he is doing and to put them back dont know what they are doing either. pot calling the kettle black. he said the puddle would have evaporated and these would have dried up anyway. so why not take a crack and keeping them alive. figure out what the temperament is with the water and go from there. go out for a snorkel and see if you see anymore and try to mimic there environment (just sand, just rock, sand/rock, grass, etc.) keep them in a tank of there own. like one said, if they die they will annihilate an established tank.

Aicks, remind me to never get on your bad side. :o

That was a playful mo'fcka... Like a Dave chapelle "what's all this chocolate on your face, mo'fcka!"

pismo_reefer

All the morality and stupidity aside... This thread brings the entertainment. :D

I love the OP's logic, here:

"I'm gonna take this tropical animal, and attempt to save its life, by putting it in a pickle jar!.... Sh*t, now what!?"

C'mon man.... Stop pickin' up stray Nems.

CatfishSoupFTW

well looks like things have escalated quickly. lol

id say you have it, so make due with it. if you can find out what it is, and how to care for do it up. QT it probably would be a good idea, and see whats up. I know sea life isnt doing its best out there but - you didnt take a big chunk out of it. if anything, its almost like you found a rock. lol

If we're going to nitpick, I hate when people abbreviate "anemone" as "nem". Annoying as crap.

I hate when people shorten Steven to Steve.

For what it's worth, those anemones are super cool looking. I hope that you can find some way to keep them alive and thriving. However, I do think that taking them from their habitat, without knowing how to care for them, is irresponsible. I believe that you had good intentions, though, so I am not bashing you. It's far better than if you dove to find them and took them out of their habitat.

Archived