Cultivated Reef

Rockpool vivarium build

weta

what are you livestock plans?

Anything that I can find in the upper rockpools that can avoid getting eaten by this-

1401855575510.jpg

Look how much shes grown!

c5_320x240.jpg

Definitely a pair of pistol shrimp. The last ones managed to survive over four years. They were pretty nasty themselves though, and ate the hermit crabs, isopods and any small crabs that lived under the water. So they will be isolated into their own pool with a custom made burrow for them.

The tank will basically be stocked with a bunch of ruffians that would have no place in a respectable aquarium. Plus a few wussies that are good at avoiding the ruffians.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr.Brain Coral

wow she got BIG!! If you have any nudibranch around there like the opalescent nudibranch you should add those as they are pretty opportunistic in what they eat. I read that in labs they even ate fish food. you wouldn't by chance have any mantis shrimp where you are would you?

I had no internet for over a week so haven't been able to reply sorry.

We have lots of types of nudibranch down here but none that can be kept in a tank like mine for long.

We do have mantis shrimp. I might try and get one. Apparently they are common in the mangroves around here.

Archer fish are cool but they would just be expensive crab food I'm afraid.

I've started to make a mould for the foam-

1403006479119.jpg

I've just made a basic box out of mdf. I need to do some research on foam moulds, but I haven't been able to without the internet. I'm going to set the pipes into the foam. The glass tank is going to have to be built around the foam rock which is going to be quite tricky. I'm going to cut old window glass to make the tank, which will bring the cost of the build down.

I'll need to give the rocks a thicker coat than the last ones I made. The crab has done a bit off damage picking holes it-

1403006734413.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived