Maxspect RipTide

CoralVue Aquarium Products

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Forgot that I could just take my phone off wifi LOL

All I can say is DAYUM. So much want.

Can you guys show it switching flow directions?

My right eyebrow quirks... now... does it come in a black housing? (The picture following the new link seems to suggest so!) I'm apparently not the only one concerned about how crusty it'll look in the tank after a few months. And what would the flow be like in a cube-style nano instead of a rectangular?

Still, very, very cool.

Pre registration is USA only... that's a shame.

Unless I am missing something.

Canada has their own distributor, CoralVue can only sell Maxspect in the US and Mexico.

Canada has their own distributor, CoralVue can only sell Maxspect in the US and Mexico.

Who is the distributor and do you know if they will have pre registration as well?

Distribupet

5659 Pine Stone Drive
RR#1 Williamstown
Ontario, Canada K0C 2J0

Tel: (613) 931-3000
www.distribupet.com

The Canadian distributor does very little in marketing Maxspect, doubt they have the wherewithall to do a pre-register.

Distribupet

5659 Pine Stone Drive

RR#1 Williamstown

Ontario, Canada K0C 2J0

Tel: (613) 931-3000

www.distribupet.com

The Canadian distributor does very little in marketing Maxspect, doubt they have the wherewithall to do a pre-register.

I highly doubt they will. They only seem to wholesale the products they carry...

Shame really :(

Couldn't agree more with you, waves are not really the ideal "flow" for any aquarium, it's good for... well... showing off to your buddies when they come over to your house, and when they're gone, I'm pretty sure everyone would set the pumps back to random mode.

Please allow me to post an animated GIF from wikipedia, it shows you waves are basically moving the same column of water horizontally, not really helping the exchange of water within an aquarium.

Deep_water_wave.gif

So then why do we have a "wave making" mode? Well, like I said above, to show off to your buddies :D It's so easy to make waves with just any pump we figured why not? Making gyres within an aquarium, on the other hand, isn't as easy and often requires multiple synchronized powerheads/wavemakers, (or with just a single Riptide B) ) so the focus of the Riptide is still making gyres within an aquarium.

Well that was informative! Yet so many people peeing their pants over WP10's. :huh:

ingtar_shinowa

We are hobbyists ourselves, too, so what you worried is what we also worried, and rest assured it will be made in such a way that it will be easy to take apart and cleaned. If you could afford a jebao then you could afford a Riptide, wink wink.

pretty cool!

BRS posted their in dept look at it... It's really making me rethink getting an MP10. Hopefully they are here by August.

I want it all.

BRS posted their in dept look at it... It's really making me rethink getting an MP10. Hopefully they are here by August.

Do you guys think these riptides will be good for sps heavy tanks?

In my experience sps tanks need very strong random flow. Usually this is achieved with multiple power heads. I really like the coverage these things are putting out. It looks amazing. Just wonder if it would be strong enough for sps. Seems like the gyre is more gentle.

Do you guys think these riptides will be good for sps heavy tanks? In my experience sps tanks need very strong random flow. Usually this is achieved with multiple power heads. I really like the coverage these things are putting out. It looks amazing. Just wonder if it would be strong enough for sps. Seems like the gyre is more gentle.

After watching this video id say its a definite yes...

This is such a day one purchase for me....

After watching this video id say its a definite yes...

http://youtu.be/s47vfkWr2hk'>http://youtu.be/s47vfkWr2hk

This is such a day one purchase for me....

Yes I saw that. It's very impressive. Really makes me re think my recent tunze purchase. I wonder how these would do in more Cubish

Setups. My tank is 36x24x18.

Not very long, but wide for a 3 foot tank. It's made it a little tougher for me to achieve the flow I want with only 2 powerheads. I wonder how a tank like mine would have to be setup with these. If 1 would be enough, or if I would need multiple smaller pumps. Definitely looks very cool though. It's one of those things where I'm willing to sacrifice aesthetics for functionality.

jedimasterben

Yes I saw that. It's very impressive. Really makes me re think my recent tunze purchase. I wonder how these would do in more CubishSetups. My tank is 36x24x18. Not very long, but wide for a 3 foot tank. It's made it a little tougher for me to achieve the flow I want with only 2 powerheads. I wonder how a tank like mine would have to be setup with these. If 1 would be enough, or if I would need multiple smaller pumps. Definitely looks very cool though. It's one of those things where I'm willing to sacrifice aesthetics for functionality.

Gyres don't necessarily need multiple pumps to work, and 'random' flow is not the goal, as random flow happens when you are canceling out the flow from another power head, which doesn't make sense to do. The entire water column gets moving with relatively little overall flow. It can't be beaten for nutrient and oxygen transport, and SPS tanks would benefit greatly from it.

Ok. I'm just a noob here and in SW tanks in general but it came to me that this is sort of what FW tanks do with HOBs and with the use of lily pipes but with greater water movement. In FW the outflow is usually near the surface to help with gas exchange and the intake is deeper. This helps produce a gyre like flow but not as significant or with the laminar flow that the riptide seems to make.

The funny thing is that when I took a look at the riptide I knew how it was put together since it works the same as those slim line fans that have been on the market for years.

Flame away! lol

Archived