Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Riptide

KP_Reef_Tank

depending on price, I'd pick one up over a powerhead. I like the idea of uniform water movement in my small tank - no dead spots. But a vortech killer it is not. Definitely different goals.

CoralVue Aquarium Products

It is designed for a different application so I doubt it will be killing anything at all.

How is the RipTide designed for a different application? The RipTide will go head to head with Tunze and Vortech. It uses a different method of creating flow, which produces massive horizontal water movement leaving little to no dead spots.

Chris

How is the RipTide designed for a different application? The RipTide will go head to head with Tunze and Vortech. It uses a different method of creating flow, which produces massive horizontal water movement leaving little to no dead spots.

Chris

In that case, maybe you can clarify.

From what I am seeing, this creates what looks like a sheet of massive water movement in a single direction with no variance. They look like an amazing tool for creating flow in gyre tanks and under egg crate in frag systems to prevent detritus buildup. I can not however see them being as useful for varying flow in SPS systems.

Maybe I am interpreting the design and description incorrectly.

Definitely an interesting design. I'd like to see videos of it working side by side with a vortech before I'd consider it a "Vortech Killer".

1. The rotors can spin at different speed creating varying flow in SPS system.

2. The rotors can spin in normal and in reverse, in reverse mode, it will draw in water from the front and disperse water from the bottom creating huge amount of turbulence. The basic controller will have different alternating flow modes, and this is one of them.

3. When sheer flow of water passes through SPS colonies, it'll create an unique flow and turbulence that a propeller nozzle powerhead/wavemaker cannot do, similar when you see a wall of wave washing over a shore with lots of rocks, it'll generate small whirlpools and in some cases, riptides (thus our name). This cannot be done by propeller nozzle powerhead/wavemaker because they are basically pushing out a stream of water and not a sheer flow of water.

4. Combining the above 3 you'll be able to create a lot more turbulence and varying flow than any propeller nozzle powerhead/wavemaker could ever do.

NorthCoralNewB

Chris

Lol... This is so not a Tunze/Vortech killer.

This product from the little information that I can see (unless someone can chime in) is that this product doesn't alternate flow or direction. So this would not be good for a reef application.

I do give props for interesting design but in my opinion the only useful application for this pump would be for a frag tank... Also even with the small diameter in my opinion it will be unsightly and even if the product is clear, what would it look like when algae starts to grow?

2. The rotors can spin in normal and in reverse, in reverse mode, it will draw in water from the front and disperse water from the bottom creating huge amount of turbulence. The basic controller will have different alternating flow modes, and this is one of them.

3. When sheer flow of water passes through SPS colonies, it'll create an unique flow and turbulence that a propeller nozzle powerhead/wavemaker cannot do, similar when you see a wall of wave washing over a shore with lots of rocks, it'll generate small whirlpools and in some cases, riptides (thus our name). This cannot be done by propeller nozzle powerhead/wavemaker because they are basically pushing out a stream of water and not a sheer flow of water.

4. Combining the above 3 you'll be able to create a lot more turbulence and varying flow than any propeller nozzle powerhead/wavemaker could ever do.

Will this unit be programable so that it can change the flow through out the day or will you have to manual change the modes?

There will be a iOS/Android control app released late summer.

Chris

NorthCoralNewB

There will be a iOS/Android control app released late summer.

Chris

Very cool. What do you believe will be the price point?

I am certainly intrigued; might have to look into getting one of these units to test out on my 25 gallon rimless SPS system. Nothing like some consumer level practical application to prove a product functional!

NorthCoralNewB

I am certainly intrigued; might have to look into getting one of these units to test out on my 25 gallon rimless SPS system. Nothing like some consumer level practical application to prove a product functional!

Agreed I was lucky enough to be able to test ecotech's pumps and reeflink and the feedback that company gets from an end user is priceless.

Very cool. What do you believe will be the price point?

I will have pricing and specifications after the Interzoo show next week.

Chris

I wonder what the price point will be? I assume 200ish?

You're in the ballpark, significantly cheaper than the MP40.

Chris

I will have pricing and specifications after the Interzoo show next week.

Chris

You're in the ballpark, significantly cheaper than the MP40.

Chris

Right, but with the different sizes, etc, I wonder if the small one is in the ballpark of the MP10?

I'll have more info on specifications and pricing after I return from Interzoo. Will be making daily posts on the Maxspect LED Facebook page while at the show.

Chris

I think combining one of these with a small powerhead would create some nice flow in a tank. This would generate an overall current and the powerhead could add in variation. Especially if both can be programmed to have variable flow, will be very cool.

interesting... want to see one of these in action.. may be a good replacement for one (or both) of my mp10s..

Chris, can you comment to how quiet/noisy they are? also, how do the attach? suction cups?

I'm really interested now. So correct me if I'm wrong, to sum up from what you said its going to be a controlled uniform/erratic flow compared to the controlled non-uniform/erratic flow from a prop style powerhead?

If so, this could be something far more than a Vortech.

Interested in it as well! Please post a video of it in action in a stocked tank with softcorals when you are done with interzoo! :D

interesting... want to see one of these in action.. may be a good replacement for one (or both) of my mp10s..

Chris, can you comment to how quiet/noisy they are? also, how do the attach? suction cups?

I'll let you know how quiet they are after Interzoo. The RipTide uses a magnet mount.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Archived