Coral Vue Hydros

HELP! RTN and coral skeleton bright green overnight?

amored

so i did a big cleaning of my tank the day before yesterday, just manual algae removal and siphoning out detritus. lots of my frags got bumped off in the process, so i reglued them yesterday after placing them on a frag rack temporarily. when i woke up this morning, one of my acro frags had 75% of its tissue missing, and the skeleton had turned bright green. not algae green, but bright friggin" green. there is no way algae could've covered the skeleton overnight anyway. what is going on here? all params are normal and all other corals are healthy. i removed the dead frag but i am totally weirded out. i've dealt with RTN in other tanks and the skeleton is always bright white where the dead tissue has sloughed off. never seen bright green before. ideas?

so after much googling i have decided that it is green boring algae- the inside of the skeleton, when cut open, was also bright green, and damaged (i could break the skeleton easily with my bare hands). i have read that it is unusual for it to spread to other corals and this is a new frag so it likely was infected before i got it because the entire skeleton was consumed. any advice is welcome.

Red_Blenny

That's interesting. I never heard of "Green Boring Algae" until now. (For other people reading this thread and want to read more about it, click here and here)

As for your frag, I'd say frag the surviving parts and toss the rest of it.

Holy crap. Sorry for the coral loss and glad you figured it out and posted about it. Certainly yet another thing to worry about. :)

Nano sapiens

Green Boring Algae (Ostreobium) is ubiquitous, but doesn't usually cause issues unless nutrients are high in the tank. When nutrients are high, this algae can cause tissue recession, displaying that bright green skeleton. I've seen this fairly often on Euphyllia and Plerogyra septa..

Archived