ReefCleaners.org

Red moyers dragonette

kriskristofferzen

kalireefer

Ya I actually had two attempts at keeping this fish, (also referred to as a ruby red dragonet) Just so I don't get flamed... I have been successful at keeping a mated pair of mandarin dragonets for 3 1/2 years and a regular red dragonet for 4 years, all three fish were traded for corals when I went for a simple frag tank at the time. I felt do to my previous experience with similar species I could provide a good environment for the fish, yet both attempts resulted in failure. My LFS has had similar luck with them, about 1 in 5 ends up being a healthy specimen, the other 4 not so much. They are an awesome fish, I guess I couldn't provide them with what they needed sadly.

Biggest problem I found with these guys is they are coming in so small they can take trips to the sump/back chambers and jump out through tiny tiny holes if they choose.

I had 1 end up in my filter sock after fitting through overflow teeth and 1 jump out through 1/4 inch netting.

kriskristofferzen

Cool thanks! The LFS had 3 of them but I noticed they put the last one they had in their smaller dispys with snails and lots of pods, it is way too tiny. I'll see if they have any larger ones next shipment. Thanks for the input

• 3 weeks later...
kriskristofferzen

Well the fish store owner sold one and took another home. I ended up taking one after it was in one of their smaller tanks with lots of pods for about two weeks. It's been in my tank about a week. Very tiny and very shy. I tried feeding it a mix of foods not sure if it ate the live brine I gave it today but looked like a few attempts were made. What have you all been feeding them?

Well the fish store owner sold one and took another home. I ended up taking one after it was in one of their smaller tanks with lots of pods for about two weeks. It's been in my tank about a week. Very tiny and very shy. I tried feeding it a mix of foods not sure if it ate the live brine I gave it today but looked like a few attempts were made. What have you all been feeding them?

Nutramar ova or fish roe (the stuff from the sushi store).

kriskristofferzen

cool! the LFS in the area told me there is a freeze on Nurtramar ova right now related to production issues or something. I'll try the fish roe, from sushi store. Any recommendations? I don't want to add any weird additives to the tank. thanks!

Rod's "Fish Eggs" is another option, and I've had some luck getting my red splendidus to accept minced-up Larry's Reef Frenzy "Nano" food - she doesn't like it nearly as much as Nutramar. To be honest the RO-rinsed sushi roe seems to be the more readily available and accepted option (but really takes a toll on water quality when fed routinely)... that or freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

No idea when Nutramar's going to show back up on the market... it's a cruel joke that almost EVERY decent store here started carrying it back in September (and within a buck of online pricing), enough so that I figured getting a mandarin was a relatively safe bet in November/December and NOW it's not available - hence the efforts to use my remaining to train onto other foods. :rolleyes:

As a fallback I've restarted my tsibe copepod cultures, just in case. After all it can't hurt to supplement the pod population, seeing as I have a couple of vacations on the horizon and the tank sitter does best when asked to do the least.

But the Moyers are mostly bottom-of-the-tank hunters, aren't they? ...they might take more readily to the .5mm New Life Spectrum/Sustainable Aquatics sinking pellet foods than most.

cool! the LFS in the area told me there is a freeze on Nurtramar ova right now related to production issues or something. I'll try the fish roe, from sushi store. Any recommendations? I don't want to add any weird additives to the tank. thanks!

I believe Kat used it before and she just washed it. I mean.. it is for human consumption so it can't be that bad?

They love live black worms too.

jedimasterben

They get as big as any other 'scooter' dragonet and have the same requirements. These are typically coming in malnourished, so keep that in mind.

Also to the OP, they are not Synchiropus moyeri, a name has not been decided upon, and as such they are just Synchiropus sp. 'ruby red'. See the Reefbuilders notes on them here: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/09/20/ruby-red-dragonets/ :)

I've had my little girl for a few weeks now, and I finally found a male for her on Friday. They sell for $24-26 here, wholesale on them is around $10.

Archived