Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

theishkid

Hey Dave,

I saw way back on your Facebook page where you had just cut some housings and you said you were taking them to the anodizer… That got me thinking...

Would you be able to do a blue anodized finish like the hardware on my drums?

post-84529-0-00793100-1400527572_thumb.jpg

Not to answer out of turn for Dave, but I'm sure it's possible (I've had a lot of stuff anodized in the past). Might be a little costly for you though. Most anodizers have a minimum batch price that will have to be paid, and that could be fairly costly for only three parts (assuming body and two end caps). Plus, to match the same level of finish, each part would have to be hand polished to get that bright uniform look to the metal.

Another way, which might be more up Dave's alley is to paint it. There are candy colors that look pretty close to what you are looking for. I'm sure that approach will be far cheaper and faster.

I hear ya… I guess I was just wondering if they already are at the anodizer would it cost that much more to go blue with it?

I probably won't take this approach, I just thought it might look kind of cool.

I'm not sure Dave does much anodizing any more to be honest. Most everything I have seen him ship out the door has been painted.

Don't give up on the look though. That look can be done with paint, like I mentioned earlier. It would need a base coat of chrome (ends up more looking like a bright silver than chrome, but would give a uniform color as a base than the raw aluminum), then spray with a candy blue.

I can look into that color with paint. My problem with anodizing was batching. Most of them are a minimum or $75-100 for standard finish. Polishing and everything else adds up quick! I have done some wild stuff lately and I am sure I can dig up this.

-Dave

Really don't worry about it Dave. There is probably no way that my wife would go for that color. I was just wondering if it was even possible. I just had my drums out and saw some of your pre-painted housings and started wondering.

Archived