SaltCritters.com

Coral ID

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

alright guys, guy I got this from said it was a monti, Im not saying that it isnt, but the texture looks different. PE has improved, almost looks like a garf bonsai but encrusting, any ideas?

On the left

IMG_0071_zpse6b6bcfb.jpg

Another

IMG_0070_zps9948692b.jpg

Thanks fellas

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

its hard as a rock, think of a acro but no branching, just encrusting.

Not sure if there are encrusting monti setosa, but they look similar

opaquelace

Looks like a garf bonsai to me. Someone on the forums said that his garf bonsai would encrust a lot more than grow out so maybe that's just what it is doing? Doesn't look like any kind of montipora to me.

NorthGaHillbilly

I'm getting alright PE, color is maintaining which is good. Anyone have any other ideas?

NorthGaHillbilly

After alittle magnification on the polyps and some internet searching it definatly is a garf bonsai, its doing well enoigh, which I'm suprised with a system that's far from optimal for sps

opaquelace

After alittle magnification on the polyps and some internet searching it definatly is a garf bonsai, its doing well enoigh, which I'm suprised with a system that's far from optimal for sps

I have a fairly mixed assortment of softies LPS and 3 acro frags. All seem to do well. My acros grow fast and I have great polyp extension. I do run a protein skimmer rated for a tank twice the size of mine though. But I feed heavily. I do have a mature tank. Going on 3 years old in November. Sometimes I think maturity is important when it comes to sps, better stability with parameters and all.

NorthGaHillbilly

I'm skimmerless currently, soon go change hopefully. My tank, tho new in its current encarnation, has been running for a LONG time, hopefully things keep going well.

Mr. Microscope

+1 to Bonsai. Those things encrust like crazy. You have to isolate it on the tip of something with dramatic overhangs to get it to shoot up.

Archived