Anti-social mandarin

darkdancer333

darkdancer333

I have a mandarin that shies away from people. I have had for 12 days and he only comes out when no one is around. My wife gets home at 8pm and he is scrounging around the top rock

I feed cyclops but I am not sure he is eating anything. She sees him peck at the rock but hard to say

1st reef store I got him from said he eats pellets and mysis. I have seen him eat none of these.

I wish I read the forum on Mandi's before I got him because I never would have purchased. My cube is 14 gal and 11 lbs live rock is not enuff to support him on pods.

Another reef store where I do most of my buying says he would happily house him in his 100 gal reef tank and he wouldn't sell. This I think is a better option.

Ive tried garlic soaking, bloodworms, etc and he doesnt do much with any. he took a worm and spit it out..

Just wondering when there is a critical point that can be noticed where he needs to be moved??

Mandi

natalia_la_loca

How are you feeding? With mine I set up a feeding station (a seashell), turned off all pumps and deposited the food there. Mandys take their time eating so loads of patience is required. If all the food is still there in an hour, then you have your answer. If the mandarin goes several days without eating I would return him. Don't wait for him to get thin.

SouthFlorida_Tron

First Mandarin shopping mistake, not getting the preview feeding pre purchase to prove he's actually eating...

Me personally, I've made that mistake before with the "ORA" "Pellet Trained" Mandarins... my assss...... One i bought several months ago I watched and kept my eye on for 2-3 months, then finally got the associate to feed them in front of me, took him home!

darkdancer333

How are you feeding? With mine I set up a feeding station (a seashell), turned off all pumps and deposited the food there. Mandys take their time eating so loads of patience is required. If all the food is still there in an hour, then you have your answer. If the mandarin goes several days without eating I would return him. Don't wait for him to get thin.

ill try this but hermits and clowns could make that hard lol I doo have a small seashell . try it with cyclops

First Mandarin shopping mistake, not getting the preview feeding pre purchase to prove he's actually eating...

Me personally, I've made that mistake before with the "ORA" "Pellet Trained" Mandarins... my assss...... One i bought several months ago I watched and kept my eye on for 2-3 months, then finally got the associate to feed them in front of me, took him home!

he is small and is on the thin side.. He just doesnt come out much and never did. wondering how long before he becomes truly acclimated if ever.. many times when he sees me his fins become active like a dog wagging his tail..

natalia_la_loca

ill try this but hermits and clowns could make that hard lol

Then you need to either remove the clowns or remove the mandarin. Mandarins are slow, methodical eaters and easily outcompeted for food.

he is small and is on the thin side.. He just doesnt come out much and never did. wondering how long before he becomes truly acclimated if ever.. many times when he sees me his fins become active like a dog wagging his tail..

They are shy when they feel threatened.

I don't think hermits would be a threat, but the clowns absolutely could be. Given that he's already small and thin, I strongly suggest you return him to the LFS unless you clearly see him eat within the next two days.

darkdancer333

Then you need to either remove the clown or remove the mandarin. Mandarins are slow, methodical eaters and easily outcompeted for food.

They are shy when they feel threatened.

I don't think hermits would be a threat, but the clown absolutely could be. Given that he's already small and thin, I strongly suggest you return him to the LFS unless you clearly see him eat within the next two days.

Saturday I was thinking of taking back or Sunday he should be ok until then

I have seen him eat and my wife says he is always poking at the rocks.. I wish I knew if he was eating cyclops and not pods. Pods I dont have enough to sustain a mandarin

natalia_la_loca

I wish I knew if he was eating cyclops and not pods.

The only way to know for sure if he's eating the food you provide is to have that food concentrated in one place (hence the feeding station) and make sure it stays put by turning off the pumps. If he's eating it you'll know, because he'll sit in that feeding station and stuff himself silly.

darkdancer333

The only way to know for sure if he's eating the food you provide is to have that food concentrated in one place (hence the feeding station) and make sure it stays put by turning off the pumps. If he's eating it you'll know, because he'll sit in that feeding station and stuff himself silly.

i have a small seashell ill try that by putting under the rocks and filling with cyclops and turn off pump..Ive seen glass jar feeding station but none fit in my tank. cramped for space lol

he hides in the back

After 5 weeks

Saturday I was thinking of taking back or Sunday he should be ok until then

I have seen him eat and my wife says he is always poking at the rocks.. I wish I knew if he was eating cyclops and not pods. Pods I dont have enough to sustain a mandarin

Mandarins are typically shy fish. My oldest I have had 2 years and even after 2 years he sits in the back of the tank, only coming out for feeding.

Pecking does not mean eating, they will peck at nothing and they will peck and spit out the food. If you can't be 100% sure he is eating food and he needs to be eating a good amount, then he will probably starve.

Nutramar ova works well or sushi roe at a asian market to get them eating. Unfortunately Nutramar ova has been out of stock online for many months now due to a shortage. Live black worms can also entice a mandarin to start eating. Generally it is a good idea to have a huge variety of frozen and live foods when purchasing a mandarin to see what you can get it to eat. I would say start special ordering certain foods or return him.

Snow_Phoenix

I've weaned my Mandarin successfully onto frozen after several months. There's a variety of things you can offer your Mandarin: live BBS, live/frozen mysis, live/frozen bloodworms (monitor phosphate levels), live Tubifex (make sure your supplier is good), live blackworms, prawn roe, crab roe, fish roe etc.

Mine so far has taken a huge liking to frozen bloodworms, frozen baby brine shrimp (not recommended unless enriched with Selcon), frozen mysis and Repashy Spawn and Grow paste. He mostly sticks to the back of the tank and grazes all day until all the lights are off downstairs. Mandarins are generally shy, as Tam said, but they are certainly adorable fish to watch. :)

darkdancer333

Mandarins are typically shy fish. My oldest I have had 2 years and even after 2 years he sits in the back of the tank, only coming out for feeding.

Pecking does not mean eating, they will peck at nothing and they will peck and spit out the food. If you can't be 100% sure he is eating food and he needs to be eating a good amount, then he will probably starve.

Nutramar ova works well or sushi roe at a asian market to get them eating. Unfortunately Nutramar ova has been out of stock online for many months now due to a shortage. Live black worms can also entice a mandarin to start eating. Generally it is a good idea to have a huge variety of frozen and live foods when purchasing a mandarin to see what you can get it to eat. I would say start special ordering certain foods or return him.

My lfs took him in and housed him in a 150 gal coral tank.. He has 2 clowns there and tons of rock to feed from. The guy said he never seen a mandarin tha small lol

I've weaned my Mandarin successfully onto frozen after several months. There's a variety of things you can offer your Mandarin: live BBS, live/frozen mysis, live/frozen bloodworms (monitor phosphate levels), live Tubifex (make sure your supplier is good), live blackworms, prawn roe, crab roe, fish roe etc.

Mine so far has taken a huge liking to frozen bloodworms, frozen baby brine shrimp (not recommended unless enriched with Selcon), frozen mysis and Repashy Spawn and Grow paste. He mostly sticks to the back of the tank and grazes all day until all the lights are off downstairs. Mandarins are generally shy, as Tam said, but they are certainly adorable fish to watch. :)

I miss mine now that he is gone..I just need to find one that is trained.. MY lfs said when he is big and healthy we can try again in my tank..

Archived