Cultivated Reef

Calothrix

Rollermonkey

Rollermonkey

So... You find anything that eats this besides chitons and nerites? It's definitely what I'm dealing with, and the nerites I have aren't making much progress with it.

Tectus fenestratus ("turban" or "Top Snail, False Trochus Snail") snails will eat it - and almost anything else that gets in their slow, slow way. I'm starting to regard these guys as what Astreas should have been.

I've been fighting what could either be a dinoflagellate or calothrix bloom (or both) in my 9 gallon tank and can attest to these being just about the only grazing snail that A.) survived incredibly low alkalinity over a prolonged time, B.) are making a noticable dent in the fuzzy brown crap coupled with C.) not dying while doing it.

They're not cheap, but the last two times I saw them for sale locally I wish I'd bought a couple more than I did.

Rollermonkey

OK, well order placed.

We'll see if those chitons will be the usual voracious beasts on this stuff, too.

Rollermonkey

Well, the gang is here and in the tank. Everything seems to be moving except one limpet that keeps flipping over and one of the chiton hasn't moved off the clam shell in 6 hours. The other two are cruising around though.

I will let you know if I catch anything eating the calothrix, for sure.

Archived