Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Raising Water Level in Fusion 30L

chrisfronczek

chrisfronczek

Recently purchased a Nuvo 30L and like the tank a lot, but was wondering what could be done to raise the water level maybe 1/2" higher so the returns are submerged completed. Was thinking about small pieces of black acrylic on the bottom on the inlets to back of tank.

Anyone have any ideas or reasons why I shouldn't give it a try.

Add water to the display to bring the level up. Do not submerge the intake grates all the way or you will not surface skim properly

You have issues where your nozzles aren't fully submerged? Do you have them pointed up too high? I would just make sure you have them pointed down just enough to keep them under water, you won't disrupt your sand bed and the flow is great that way. I have mine pointed towards the corners and I l don't have any dead spots.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering the same exact thing. I have tried replacing the pump with 2x 290gph without making a dent in the water level.

When we raise the level of water that high how would the filtration work? To get it above the returns the water in the rear baffles will have to overflow. Effectively making the 3 chambers useless.

r33fswagg3r

If you take 2 pieces of black acrylic, thread a screw hole the same size as an intake grate hole opening you could then put a nylon screw and nut thru it and have it adjustable. But before doing all of that I would temp hold them in place to check water levels in the back chamber.

Nueok, actually I held pieces of acrylic over a portion of both grates to simulate this and it effectively raised the display area'a water level without rendering the rear chambers useless- so it is doable. I was just debating actually siliconing them in place lol

R33fswag: my only concern about that is water finding a way to squeeze through the piece of acrylic for a lack of a silicone seal

chrisfronczek

I've had a couple pieces of acrylic in the overflows for a couple weeks now. With the spin streams all debris is eventually getting sucked into the back to the filters. It does make the water fall further as it goes through, so a little more noise, but I glued a couple of ramps to the acrylic for a smooth water flow and that has cut down the noise.

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for needing to increase the water level, aside from saying the returns are out of the water? I haven't ever had a problem with my returns being out of the water on my Fusion 30 - just wanting higher water line in the display?

In AIOs I have had in the past, added some sort of filter media (sponge) behind the intakes will usually slow the rate of flow into the rear chamber.

I have a 30l cycling right now & I am not very happy about the returns being above the water level. Stupid design IMO. I never use a flat nozzle on my return but have to with this tank. I may try a mod this week if I do I will post some results.

Joe

I did a temp mod this week I followed r33fswagg3r suggestion. I used some acrylic & cut a rectangular cover then used nylon screws to hold in place. #10 will fit tight enough you do not even need a nut but 8s would work better. I could not find #8 nuts so went with #10s. It worked well for me I am much happier now. For me there was no increase in noise but I am only using 200 gph return pump. I first made the cover 1 1/8 tall but IMO it raised the water level too high. It did not leave much room to spare on the hight of the overflow. For me 7/8" is what I am comfortable with but you could get away with an 1". I may have a piece of glass cut & silicon it in but you could leave it like this if you use black screws & nuts or you can use an acrylic bonding agent.

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that doesn't like how low you have to keep the water level in the the main tank area for the filtration to work correctly. I'd be happy with just a .5 inch more in the display. Guess I'll try a piece of acrylic this week.

• 6 months later...

I added a pair of these to my 30L.http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Nano_Cube_M.S.S._%28Modular_Surface_Skimmer%29_for_12G_24G_Accessories_for_Aquariums-JBJ_Lighting-JB7333-FIAQAA-vi.html

I cut 4 2" strips of airline tubing and slid them into the groves of the 30L, and can raise or lower these as necessary. It's a win-win situation and I like having my surface crystal clear free of debies too. I'd say I raised my water level about 1/2".

• 5 months later...

Do you have a build thread on that tank? Setup is insane dude

Thanks bro, I had one for my nuvo24 and cadlights 50 cube. I have one for my fusion40 seahorse. I need to just make one for all my tanks. I think I MIGHT have a problem, ha ha.

Your gear organization looks like a silicon chip. Are those two Hydra 52s? Any current pics?

Thanks, I started with a single vega, then 2 hydra52, but it was a waste. Settled on 2 vegas. Waiting for all my acros from Zia to fill out, then I'll update everyone. Right now, I'm focusing on my fusion40 seahorse tank, while I get my dosing regiment down. I started doing water changes via the apex dos, so I gotta start over with my calculations.