Coral Vue Hydros

Clown fish disease

SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator

Hi all,

New nano reefer here, I've had my 5 gallon tank for two months now, which is already cycled and had a clown fish living in it for the last weeks.

I've now added a friend for him as my LFS advised I could, this clown fish I've brought home though is diseased and after some research here in these forums it has the symptoms of Ich. He has white spots, clamped fin, swims on the bottom and hardly eats. So I'm wondering what my options are?

Take him back to get him treated and get another clown fish?

Quarantine him and ask the LFS to compensate me the necessary medicine for it?

Also, how long before my other clown catches the disease and is there a possibility that they can both can get through it on their own?

Thanks in advance!

If it is Ich, the tank is now infected. You will have to treat both fish in a hospital tank and leave your tank fallow for up to 10 weeks. You won't be able to trade the infected fish for a healthy one as any fish you introduce will become prey to the parasite.

I would also advise going with a much larger tank if you want to keep 2 clowns in there.

Yes, I agree; it's really too small for even just one. Here's an idea, use this tank as the hospital tank and get yourself a 10 gallon tank. Some will say that that's even too small for a pair of clownfish, but that would probably work alright. However, if you could go even larger, that would be better.

opaquelace

5 gallons is way too small for a clown. Not just their bioload, but they get pretty large if they live long enough and if taken care of properly they really should live. If you want a pair of clowns, get at least a 10 gallon tank (preferably 15 gallons or more). If a 5 gallon is all you want/have there are plenty of other beautiful fish you can put in there that will be active and fun to look at that won't stress out from the tight space. But, only get them after you starve out the ich :D

There are several factors here, but the tiny amount of water volume gives you virtually no chance to fend off disaster if it strikes, and even parameter control can be a nightmare in that small of a footprint.

Which LFS did you buy these from?

SmoothOperator

Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't have a hospital tank and can't afford the space. I've emailed the store telling them about the fish and will ask to return him. What I plan to do though, is if my other clown fish does get infected I will then treat him in the display tank since I nothing but live rock in there.

I have told the LFS many occasions that I have a 5 gallon tank and has not said anything about it being too small for one clown fish. If my healthy clown fish does not ending up surviving I will take everyone's advice and not get another one for my tank.

I live in Sydney Australia, the LFS store is called Crystal palace aquarium.

Remember that copper treatments will bind to the calcium rocks and sand. This not only makes the medication less effective, but copper will leach from them in the future (and this is toxic to invertebrates). If you need to, use a 5 gallon bucket as a hospital tank; but understand that it should still have a powerhead, heater, and biofilter.

Read these:

SmoothOperator

Thanks for tips Seabass.

Just a word of warning to anyone who lives in Sydney Australia and plans to go to Crystal Aquarium in Five dock.

Don't buy the fish from here! The reviews on Google are true, the fish aren't looked after properly.

Archived