Cultivated Reef

Black percula - LFS says it's not an A. ocellaris?!?

SeaRover

I've read quite a bit about the Darwin (black and white) perculas, as I wanted to put a B&W and a "classic" coloration in my biocube 14, but when I went to my LFS (dedicated reef store, very knowledgeable staff), I was told they only had A. ocellaris in the orange, so if I wanted to have the best chance of success with my ORA black percula, I should wait until they get true percula clowns in.

My understanding is that the ORA black clownfish WERE A. ocellaris... Does anyone know if ORA is breeding B&W A. perculas? I couldn't find anything on their website.

Sorry - my question wasn't clear. I know the Darwin's are A. ocellaris (in spite of being referred to as B&W perculas...) but I was wondering if any B&W colour morphs have been developed in the tank-raised A. percula species.

I am confident that my LFS was incorrect in referring to the B&W I purchased as a true percula, but wanted to check with the community before I made the decision on which species of "traditional" coloration clownfish to purchase.

I have seen b&w Saddleback clowns referred to as b&w perculas before. Even ordered a pair thinking I was getting darwins only to be disappointed.

Sorry - my question wasn't clear. I know the Darwin's are A. ocellaris (in spite of being referred to as B&W perculas...) but I was wondering if any B&W colour morphs have been developed in the tank-raised A. percula species.

I am confident that my LFS was incorrect in referring to the B&W I purchased as a true percula, but wanted to check with the community before I made the decision on which species of "traditional" coloration clownfish to purchase.

No pure B/W morphs, only Onyx perculas.

Thanks for your replies. I suspect my LFS made an error in advising me that it was a true percula and I will assume my B&W is an ocellaris. Hopefully when I introduce an orange ocellaris, he/she will play nice. I'll try to find a tiny one...

Legendary Corals

The closest black and white percula you'll get is an Onyx, particular one lineaged to C-Quest. But even then they're not 100% black, but I like them with the orange face!

DSC_1801_ps.jpg

The onyx is a great looking fish! So at my LFS today, they explained that their normal source of B&Ws is a local fellow who breeds B&W perculas (probably some colour morph of the onyx). The fellow I purchased was from ORA, so it's an ocellaris. I introduced an orange ocellaris today, and he and my B&W have been inseparable since they first laid eyes on each other. Unfortunately, I misjudged the size of my B&W, and ended up buying an orange that is almost exactly the same size. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. I'm really pleased with the two ocellaris though - hopefully this will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

IMG_4332.jpg

Archived