thanks to METROKAT for IDing this neomeris

macroalgae for me. i had no idea what it was, and

after reading some threads here, looks like many

have dealt with an infestation.

this is what i've got on a single live rock, they are growing,

but there's only a handful right now. it seems pulling off

doesn't always help.

should i leave them alone? and then there's always the

two people that actually want this in their tank?

i have a pico 3 gallon, very new, and a few bubble algae

(both red and green) that i've been too lazy to deal with.

ha!

has anyone had this in their tank and NOT had a problem

with them taking over like a bad shag carpet? thanks!

Had them twice and they have never been a problem. Slow growers but every tank is different.

Had them twice and they have never been a problem. Slow growers but every tank is different.

thank you! so you just left them be? i think i will too for now.

• 1 year later...

Neomeris

should be called new nemesis.

indeed outcomes vary, but consider this:

we have 120 combined pages of peroxide treatments just from reefcentral and here, and neomeris when set in responds to nothing. it will wipe tanks for the unlucky. you cant do anything to remove it shy of acid bathing the rock.

its not that it w overtake your tank, its that no person on the planet has documented 5 fixes in a row, or even 2, to link us to.

nano-reef.com alone has three prominent old threads w tank loss to it.

summary, above any invader you could possibly have, this is it. universal exclusion methods apply (take rock its on, lift it out, throw away or acid bathe it or dry it out months before reuse.

but only in hindsight to those who lost tanks to it... for the ones it remained under control, no probs and they think this sounds crazy. google et to see, neomeris invasion in the reef tank youll see some of our work and no outcomes on it.

the greatest risk you've had in your tank is in the pics above

:)

here's what id take in my own reef over 1 single neo:

the worst dino species you could put in

all other forms of coral loss, at least I could start over with the original substrate

ich that wipes out every fish we own

cyano that lasts 12 mos regardless of outcome

complete green water so opaque you cant see through the tank, I prefer all that to a single neo. all peroxide threads state neo is not beatable if it takes off. no known grazer, no known removal method shy of exclusion but only if total tank control is the demand. if we want to experiment with suppression options, document it by all means ill take the outcomes and link for us.

hilariously, on the marine id database its listed as moderately challenging to keep, go figure. wish those writers would show up in neo threads and educate some masses on what fixes it. claim needs to be rewritten imo

opinions vary tho...

B

It springs up in my tank if I go a while without feeding much, then start to feed again. I only ever get up to 10 sparse stalks on just one piece of rock. Once things stabilize again, they stop growing, shrivel, and disappear.

Just saw this :) I've been looking to buy some actually! Do you still have some, Cindy?

this is a super old thread. :) and my original dinky 3g tank

that i ended up tossing because i didn't know what i was doing

and was getting all sorts of hair algae as well as these green things.

so alas, no, i don't have any.

why do you want them?? are they beneficial?

It springs up in my tank if I go a while without feeding much, then start to feed again. I only ever get up to 10 sparse stalks on just one piece of rock. Once things stabilize again, they stop growing, shrivel, and disappear.

i have not seen them again. *knocks on wood*

more issues with clear/white sponges in my newer 8g.

Neomeris

should be called new nemesis.

indeed outcomes vary, but consider this:

we have 120 combined pages of peroxide treatments just from reefcentral and here, and neomeris when set in responds to nothing. it will wipe tanks for the unlucky. you cant do anything to remove it shy of acid bathing the rock.

its not that it w overtake your tank, its that no person on the planet has documented 5 fixes in a row, or even 2, to link us to.

nano-reef.com alone has three prominent old threads w tank loss to it.

summary, above any invader you could possibly have, this is it. universal exclusion methods apply (take rock its on, lift it out, throw away or acid bathe it or dry it out months before reuse.

but only in hindsight to those who lost tanks to it... for the ones it remained under control, no probs and they think this sounds crazy. google et to see, neomeris invasion in the reef tank youll see some of our work and no outcomes on it.

the greatest risk you've had in your tank is in the pics above

:)

here's what id take in my own reef over 1 single neo:

the worst dino species you could put in

all other forms of coral loss, at least I could start over with the original substrate

ich that wipes out every fish we own

cyano that lasts 12 mos regardless of outcome

complete green water so opaque you cant see through the tank, I prefer all that to a single neo. all peroxide threads state neo is not beatable if it takes off. no known grazer, no known removal method shy of exclusion but only if total tank control is the demand. if we want to experiment with suppression options, document it by all means ill take the outcomes and link for us.

hilariously, on the marine id database its listed as moderately challenging to keep, go figure. wish those writers would show up in neo threads and educate some masses on what fixes it. claim needs to be rewritten imo

opinions vary tho...

B

yikes! i got rid of this little 3g tank. it was my first

and infested with hair algae and other goodies. i learned

some at least. ha!

Archived