ReefCleaners.org

should i sump a mr aqua 11.4g?

Spiderguardnano

Spiderguardnano

Trying to decide if i should sump my mr aqua 11 or would i be able to get away with like 20% water

changes every week?

if i was to sump i was going to use a bubble mag 3.5 i believe with a 20l sump with a refigum.

if not i was going to use my ac50 with intake media basket with a possible wp10 or mp10

if you guys can possible share some insight of what your thoughts on this??

i just basically want to avoid regretting not drilling the tank when the tank is up an running

Nanofreak79

You'll most likely regret it. You can get away with WC's though on that small of a tank. If you go without a sump, paint the back black. This will help hide the cords and allow things to blend in better. I'm doing a 20 long without a sump. I just wanted to do it.

Spiderguardnano

You'll most likely regret it. You can get away with WC's though on that small of a tank. If you go without a sump, paint the back black. This will help hide the cords and allow things to blend in better. I'm doing a 20 long without a sump. I just wanted to do it.

i was debating on doing a peninsula style tank with this.

what do you think the main regrets would be in not sumping?

I agree with Nanofreak you will most likely regret it. Best to just drill it now, add the sump and be done. What are your plans for corals and fish? I mean a sump would pretty much triple your water volume, add an overall sleeker look. Idk if i would even bother with the skimmer, unless your going for some sps or something, I would just aim for a fuge area, and a return area to have an ato,

Nanofreak79

Hiding the equipment first. Second is having more water volume and a nice skimmer. IMO . A peninsula would be real cool on that tank. Just from being in the hobby awhile and doing the whole hob thing, a sump really is the way to go. I don't have any hob devices and rely on WC's, but sometimes equipment can distract from the contents inside. I painted the back black on the 20 and used two black power heads/wave makers , a black neo therm and a thin un obtrusive light. I'm diggin it, but some would say why didn't he just drill it. It's up to you. A nice tank can be had either way really.

No sump

-less water volume

-everything will be kept in the display, heater, ato, thermometer, etc

-no dedicated fuge area, an ac70 mod just doesnt compare to 10+g designated area.

-many added luxuries of sumps you don't realize till you have one, dosing, water changes, media and reactors, extra water flow,

-the chance to have a display fuge :D

-the chance to have a prison for bad tankmates :rant:

but their is some added noise

Definitely sump. If done correctly, it makes everything easier and the tank looks better. Especially in small tanks, the added volume can go a long way towards increasing stability. Keep the stocking like it's a 10 gallon tank, but you have 20 gallons total volume. Much better nutrient control.

Ruester007

Totally sump it. If not for anything other than the aesthetic benefits of being able to hide all of the unsightly items.

doppelganger

totally agree with everyone else. I've had multiple tanks and currently have an AIO. Even with an aio to hide equipment, you're still cramped for space in there and it would be even worse if the equipment was directly in the main display. It'll just take away from look.

The main reason why my next tank will have a sump isn't for looks or more water volume (it's a plus tho), but because of ease of maintenance. You're much more likely to clean something or do water changes if things are more accessible and easier. If I have to fumble around a chamber or my display trying to get to a pump, chances are I'm just not going to bother cleaning it. That's just me tho.

On a side note, I find peninsula's look much better if it's a longer and slightly wider tank unless you have the perfect spot for it. They are also much harder to scape because of the need for having nothing touching a larger portion of the walls. Some have done it wonderfully but just something for you to think about. If you were to put all the equipment in on one of the short sides, you'll pretty much just end up with a cube like space to work with.

HTH

Archived