Innovative Marine Aquariums

Biggest HOB fuge for a 2.5

sdbeazley

Hello, I was wishing to start a 2.5 gallon aquarium for the living room. I decided on adding a refugium and was considering my options. In my reading the Aqua clear 300 will fit on a 2.5 but wasn`t sure if it was a good choice. The filter will be modified if it fits anyways. My plans include DIY surface extractor (similar to phish1`s snail guard but out of a film canster) to match my black background I will add. I know I will mod the AC to include a baffle and a window on top for a bayco shop light and a impeller mod. Will this idea work or would you people advise a smaller HOB?

AReeferIsExpensive

i think aquaclear is a great choice...its a very cheap n easy to use/buy n still very effective..

I meant in terms of size. Aquaclears have given me good experience for about 7 years. My current mini started out in a freshwater aquarium and is 7 years old and all I had to do is replace the impeller because it started making noise.

^ will a AC300 fit on a 2.5???? I have checked and think it does. I am not using the intake extensions either just the U tube...

sdbeazley,

The AQ300 will fit on the back of the 2.5g. It does look like a big sucker on there, though. I bought one last night and siliconed in an acrylic baffle about 1.25" from the impeller housing for heater placement. That leaves around 5" for a fuge area. I previously just had a AQ Mini on the back, but I wanted to add just a little more filter capacity.

I plan on supporting the AQ300 from underneath, however, as I had the same concern you do about pulling on the tank.

Shawn

OK, I just finished setting up the AQ300. I picked up a couple of 2.5" PVC couplings that just happened to be the height I needed to support the filter. I put the impeller from the AQMini in there and have it about 1/3-1/2 of the way open. The Mini impeller does seem to have a little trouble wide open, plus it's too much flow anyway. AQ300 holds about .75 gallon of water, so I gues I'm now a 3.25g pico!

First pic is from the side to show the size of the AQ300 on the 2.5.

Second pic is to show the mod to the AQ300.

Third pic is to show the view inside the tank with the monster intake tube. I also took three pieces of live rock from the top to put in the AQ300.

Shawn

Thank you very much, I`m still contemplating this or maybe JMT`s pico vase. These pictures have made it a little easier decide but ew`ll see when I pull out more money for another tank,lol

I got the fuge set up tonight. Here it is with about a pound of live sand some LR rubble, and a handful of chaeto. All kinds of cool critters came in the chaeto!

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fold-up 13W PC desk lamp I bought at Lowes for $15 over the fuge. The light from the lamp leaks over into the main tank and adds a little more light. With the 60mm fan, however, the daytime temps still rarely go over 76-78. I don't have the light on a reverse cycle, it's on the same cycle as the main lights. If I go to a reverse cycle, I will use a small 7w or 13w light from the Red Sea aquavases. I tried to do a reverse cycle with the desk lamp, but the light leakage was too much and the temps went up to 80-82 at night with out the fan on.

Shawn

3gEclipseGuy
Originally posted by sdnesmith

I have a fold-up 13W PC desk lamp I bought at Lowes for $15 over the fuge.  The light from the lamp leaks over into the main tank and adds a little more light.  With the 60mm fan, however, the daytime temps still rarely go over 76-78.  I don't have the light on a reverse cycle, it's on the same cycle as the main lights.  If I go to a reverse cycle, I will use a small 7w or 13w light from the Red Sea aquavases.  I tried to do a reverse cycle with the desk lamp, but the light leakage was too much and the temps went up to 80-82 at night with out the fan on.

Shawn

Thanks!

Do you have pic of both of those lamps? Would like to see how they fit over the HOB.

That's a nice looking setup on the 2.5. Can you tell us how tall those PVC supports are for the AC300? And do you have a model number for that light?

The pvc supports are standard 2" couplings that are about 3" tall, pretty much perfect.

The lamp is made by Alsy Lighting, model number 1003GX. Here's a pic of the box. :happy:

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...
3gEclipseGuy
Originally posted by DFL18

where did you get your canopy?

I think he made it....

Revisiting this thread. I'm considering putting a AC fuge for my 3 gallon Eclipse. The one in this thread seems too big. Any suggestions on an adequate size but not too big? AC70 or AC150?

Is the AQUACLEAR 300 the same as the AQUACLEAR 30? (looking at MARINEDEPOT right now)... there's an AQUACLEAR 20 too... I'm curious as to what is what... thanks!

crazyfishdude
Originally posted by Dennis_said

Is the AQUACLEAR 300 the same as the AQUACLEAR 30? (looking at MARINEDEPOT right now)... there's an AQUACLEAR 20 too... I'm curious as to what is what... thanks!

AQUACLEAR renamed all there filters.

1.AC mini is now 20

2.AC 150 is now 30

thats all I know. HTH

Archived