Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dragon's Breath turning bright orange after pruning.

BulkRate

So last weekend I went to round up all the loose Dragon's Breath in my tank as part of an impending trade. Once done I decided it wasn't enough to be a fair trade for the couple of zoa frags the other party was offering so I went and pinched off about 1/3 of my main clump above where it was anchored.

Trade went well, zoas are opening (small one of orange "bam-bams" and "candy apple greens"). But then this started happening a few days later:

post-70644-0-00508300-1399398464_thumb.jpg

What gives? I practically have this stuff coming out the wazoo and it clearly doesn't mind being separated from the main mass. I have a couple other small starts in the tank of it, so I'm more concerned on whether I pruned it incorrectly, to be honest.

Advice?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any advise but wondered if the dragon's breath returned to normal? I have some and just wondering what to expect. LOL

Nope, once it turns that color it's dead, at least in my experience.

I wound up removing the discolored areas at the nearest narrow spot and throwing out the bright orange bits. So far, so good and anything I lost is well on its way towards regrowing.

Correct

Nope, once it turns that color it's dead in my experience. I wound up removing the discolored areas at the nearest narrow spot and throwing out the bright orange bits. So far, so good and anything I lost is well on its way towards regrowing.

As the last resort, I would remove it and place in jar (you can use dirty water from your water change routine) with plenty or natural light.

Archived