Top Shelf Aquatics

Dawn's coral pony corral!

vlangel

Thanks, that is very kind of you. Haha, everyone I know is waiting for these seahorses....some friends stopped by last night and their little kids ran to the house and said, "Are there seahorses yet?" LOL

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So pretty! Your horses are gonna love this tank!
That is very kind of you to say, thank you. I hope the ponies like it, I've tried to cater to their needs and preferences as much as possible. We will soon see?

Well today I ordered sanolife mic-F probiotic for the seahorses and fish. I plan to feed it to them orally, (gut loading brine shrimp)to give them added protection from bad bacteria. It can be added to the water as well but I already use seachem stability and from what I read it is counterproductive to use both.

Tank looks great!

If you haven't already, you should check out KP Aquatics, they have an amazing selection of photosynthetic gorgonians that are very reasonably priced. That is where most of my gorgs are from and they are really quite hardy. They also have other fun stuff like anemone shrimp and these little yellow sponges that are awesome.

Tank looks great!

If you haven't already, you should check out KP Aquatics, they have an amazing selection of photosynthetic gorgonians that are very reasonably priced. That is where most of my gorgs are from and they are really quite hardy. They also have other fun stuff like anemone shrimp and these little yellow sponges that are awesome.

Yes, I've had my eye on some gorgonians from them for awhile. I thought I would try this one from the LFS and see how it did in my tank before I placed a sizable order from KP Aquatics. Thanks for the tip though.

Tank looks sweet! Id be having trouble waiting for the ponies. Sept. Will be here soon enough. LOL.

Its taking all the self control I've got, ha ha. As I was looking at it today I think I need some more red in the pony corral. The cheato and calerpa are growing like mad so there's a lot of green in there. Maybe a red tree sponge would "pop" plus it would make a nice hitching post too.

Thanks, yes since I am a newbie when it comes to seahorses I am choosing CB H erectus. They are the hardiest of all the seahorses. I am leaning toward getting a male and female but not sure about all the diligence it requires to raise baby seahorses. Culling all the babies seems harsh though and that's the alternative if they breed and I don't want to try to raise them. I raised baby clowns once and it was a lot of work, which is why I only did it once LOL.

I bet that's a lot of work but probably really cool to see too!

You mean raising baby clowns? It was really cool. They were tomato clowns which are one of the easiest of the clowns to raise. I can't even remember for sure how long ago that was, 5-6 years ago and I kept and still have one of the babies. The clowns were easier than the keeping the rotifer culture, (the first food that the larvae clowns eat) alive. I crashed several rotifer cultures which is ultimately why I gave it up.

Thanks, yes since I am a newbie when it comes to seahorses I am choosing CB H erectus. They are the hardiest of all the seahorses. I am leaning toward getting a male and female but not sure about all the diligence it requires to raise baby seahorses. Culling all the babies seems harsh though and that's the alternative if they breed and I don't want to try to raise them. I raised baby clowns once and it was a lot of work, which is why I only did it once LOL.

Yeah, babies are a lot of work >_< and mine usually mate about every month, so you'd have a lot of baby batches from one pair. If you get only one gender- I'd choose female. Males have issues a lot with their pouches (bubbles/air getting caught, babies/eggs that weren't expelled, ect).

Yeah, babies are a lot of work >_< and mine usually mate about every month, so you'd have a lot of baby batches from one pair. If you get only one gender- I'd choose female. Males have issues a lot with their pouches (bubbles/air getting caught, babies/eggs that weren't expelled, ect).

Thanks for the tip, that is what I am planning to do if I only get one gender. So how are the ponies liking the 50g? Have you successfully raised any babies?

Their doing good. The male had a batch of babies and is pregnant again :rolleyes: So he has gone into his usual hiding routine. Got some more gorgs that they seem to be quite pleased with. I haven't raised any fry, partially because reidi are notoriously difficult. The babies dont hitch so you have to basically have a bubble shaped tank with aeration. In the 29 the babies would stick around for a few days, I would see some pick at copepods off the glass (which was actually really cool to watch newborns hunt).

Today when I was getting ready to maintenance the tank, I wondered about how much detritus had settled under my multilevel box???? Now having read about seahorses getting infections from areas of the tank where detritus settles I'm a bit concerned. I was going to move the box but discovered that I could take my turkey baster and blow into the crevice between the aquarium wall and the box and that creates enough turbulence to lift detritus and then the 2 pumps that are under that box blow the debris out the outputs and into the main area of the tank. So that makes me pretty happy! :-)

I'm not sure it this post should be in the pony tank thread or the bowfront tank thread? I noticed yesterday and today, even when the lights came on that my gorgonian's polyps didn't open. I had been feeding the pony tank it was in phyto feast, frozen rotifer and cyclopese. The pony tank has T5 lights so I'm wondering if the 24" high tank diffuses the light too much? Of course maybe this gorgonian isn't even photosynthetic. When the supplier sent the order to the fish store they didn't invoice the separate gorgonians so the fish store had to guess what was sent to them. We thought it was a purple plume gorgonian but who knows? Anyway I moved it into the bowfront up high directly in front of a koralia. Here's hoping for the best!

I would not necessarily get worried about it yet. I have a unidentified purple gorg that about once a month closes for a few days and then comes back as healthy as ever. Sometimes they do this and then shed a layer of mucous-like stuff to clean the surface of algae and detritus.

Also if the gorg is purple with purple or brownish polyps, it is most likely photosynthetic I believe.

What I have found with my photosynthetic gorgs that the way they seem to do best is not to be directly in front of a powerhead but 3-7 inches from it, basically close enough that they still move in the current but are not getting blasted.

Good luck!

I would not necessarily get worried about it yet. I have a unidentified purple gorg that about once a month closes for a few days and then comes back as healthy as ever. Sometimes they do this and then shed a layer of mucous-like stuff to clean the surface of algae and detritus.

Also if the gorg is purple with purple or brownish polyps, it is most likely photosynthetic I believe.

What I have found with my photosynthetic gorgs that the way they seem to do best is not to be directly in front of a powerhead but 3-7 inches from it, basically close enough that they still move in the current but are not getting blasted.

Good luck!

Thanks, that is very good to know. It is a purple skinned gorg with brownish polyps which is why I thought it was photosynthetic too. I suspect that it might have been getting a fine layer of algae because for whatever reason my seahorse tank has some algae issues. It almost has to be light related because the water is shared with the bowfront tank and the bowfront is as clean as a whistle, except a little bubble algae. Now I'm not sure if I should move it back into the seahorse tank or not????

Thanks, that is very good to know. It is a purple skinned gorg with brownish polyps which is why I thought it was photosynthetic too. I suspect that it might have been getting a fine layer of algae because for whatever reason my seahorse tank has some algae issues. It almost has to be light related because the water is shared with the bowfront tank and the bowfront is as clean as a whistle, except a little bubble algae. Now I'm not sure if I should move it back into the seahorse tank or not????

I guess i would let it be for awhile so you don't stress by moving it too much and keep a close eye on it

I am combining this thread with my LPS reef thread under the topic, "Dawn's LPS reef-Pony display fuge". I hope you continue to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived