Top Shelf Aquatics

First Corals!

derekdutton42

derekdutton42

I set up my first saltwater tank about two weeks ago now. It's a fluval spec V with about 7 lbs of live rock, a Rio Taam nano skimmer, and a solar flare 115. After all of my parameters maintained in check (no ammonia and nitrites for about a week and most nitrates have disappeared) I got 3 coral frags. Today I got a Kenyan tree coral and 2 small mushroom corals. I'm looking for any tips on making these corals nice and happy and comments on how they look. Anything helps!

derekdutton42

Pictures finally! The mushroom that isnt in the picture is almost fully open but this one hasnt been open since I brought him home.

post-84447-0-23362400-1399256011_thumb.jpg

antsypants

Your kenya looks great and as for the shroom, mine looked just like that when I brought it home. I hacked it off of the piece of rock it was on and when I put it in the tank, it was smaller than the eraser on a pencil. 2 days later and it expanded to at least twice the size of a quarter, so I'd say your mushroom will be just as fine.

antsypants

Thanks! My Kenya just shriveled up after I added some buffer though :(

Although hardy, kenyas are pretty sensitive to any changes, hence why many people use them to indicate if something is off with their water. I've never used any buffers when I had my kenya so I can't say for certain if it's serious or not, but based on past experiences, it should be open and happy soon :) Good luck and get some more pictures!

derekdutton42

Thanks for the replies! Ill post some more pics tomorrow. I've been battling with my pH all along, it's always been between 7.8 and 8.1, my boss and everyone at work says it's just because my tank is still young. My hardness is at 11dkH so I think for now I'll stop stressing over the pH so I don't do more harm than good.

antsypants

Thanks for the replies! Ill post some more pics tomorrow. I've been battling with my pH all along, it's always been between 7.8 and 8.1, my boss and everyone at work says it's just because my tank is still young. My hardness is at 11dkH so I think for now I'll stop stressing over the pH so I don't do more harm than good.

No problem! I don't check my pH very often but it's usually very constant. Do you mix your own saltwater? Also what do you top-off with?

derekdutton42

I usually top off with pre mixed salt water from the store I work at. We use fluval sea salt with RO water and ideally it's always at 8.3 with a s.g. of 1.023. And about topping off, if my s.g. Is above 1.024 I add RO, if it's below I top off with saltwater.

antsypants

I usually top off with pre mixed salt water from the store I work at. We use fluval sea salt with RO water and ideally it's always at 8.3 with a s.g. of 1.023. And about topping off, if my s.g. Is above 1.024 I add RO, if it's below I top off with saltwater.

Hm. usually you should have a marked line of where you want your salinity. If, for example, you want your salinity to be 1.024, then you should fill up your tank with saltwater that has a specific gravity of 1.024. Make note of the waterline, and when it evaporates, refill your tank with freshwater back up to that line, that is, if you don't have an auto top off. Your salinity will increase with evaporation as the salt to water ratio decreases since salt doesn't evaporate. I'm not sure why it would decrease as you've been seeing.

derekdutton42

Well my s.g. was low to start with b.c I didn't have enough saltwater to fill it initially :P so I used some RO water I had laying around for my planted tank. So for a while it was at 1.021 but now that it's at 1.025 so I'm going to use RO from now on

antsypants

Well my s.g. was low to start with b.c I didn't have enough saltwater to fill it initially :P so I used some RO water I had laying around for my planted tank. So for a while it was at 1.021 but now that it's at 1.025 so I'm going to use RO from now on

Ah I see lol, well as long as your water source stays constant, so should your pH <_< I thiiiiink...

derekdutton42

Ah I see lol, well as long as your water source stays constant, so should your pH <_< I thiiiiink...

Thanks for all the help, btw my Kenya is starting to come out again :D

antsypants

Not a problem, let me know if you run into any other problems; I'll do my best

Also, yay :) Many people consider kenya trees a pest but I like the look of them. Just make sure you collect any branches that fall off or else you might have kenya growing in places you dont want :lol:

Sweeeeet! Another spec V! There seems to be a ton of spec v build threads on the forums, including mine. I'm still learning a lot but I've got a lot of useful info from reading through others peoples spec threads. They are a great tool. Can't wait to see how your tank progresses :)

derekdutton42

Sweeeeet! Another spec V! There seems to be a ton of spec v build threads on the forums, including mine. I'm still learning a lot but I've got a lot of useful info from reading through others peoples spec threads. They are a great tool. Can't wait to see how your tank progresses :)

It's a really great set up! I'm currently in the process of making a new top for mine. Do you plan on upgrading the lighting?

congrats! i have a new pico tank myself.

my kenya tree has been flopped over

ever since i put it into the tank. sometimes

it shrinks and looks like a nub, but when it's

out and about, it's always flopped over.

i think i read somewhere that this coral actually

needs food? i'm not sure. =( but i was told it

was an "easy" coral by LFS.

it's still alive though, as it's "flowers" at its ends

are doing fine, it seems.

good luck!

It's a really great set up! I'm currently in the process of making a new top for mine. Do you plan on upgrading the lighting?

Yeah, the stock lighting isn't too great IMO. I plan on saving up a bit of money and then eventually getting the Current Orbit USA lighting system. I've heard a lot of good things about it. What kind of lighting do you have?

antsypants

congrats! i have a new pico tank myself.

my kenya tree has been flopped over

ever since i put it into the tank. sometimes

it shrinks and looks like a nub, but when it's

out and about, it's always flopped over.

i think i read somewhere that this coral actually

needs food? i'm not sure. =( but i was told it

was an "easy" coral by LFS.

it's still alive though, as it's "flowers" at its ends

are doing fine, it seems.

good luck!

Try to move yours around, it might be the flow. Also, it doesn't need to be fed though it can be fed, if you'd like

Try to move yours around, it might be the flow. Also, it doesn't need to be fed though it can be fed, if you'd like

thanks, antsy. i've tried. but because i has

a pico three gallon, my options are limited. =/

derekdutton42

Yeah, the stock lighting isn't too great IMO. I plan on saving up a bit of money and then eventually getting the Current Orbit USA lighting system. I've heard a lot of good things about it. What kind of lighting do you have?

I'm using the solar flare 115. It should be plenty of light for just about any coral I'd want. It definitely looks bright enough but I haven't been using it enough to see any real results. It's also fairly inexpensive, only $79.99 at the store I work at ...That's not what I got it for though :)
derekdutton42

Here is my tank and a close up on my kenya! I found one of my mushrooms on the sand this morning so i put him in a spot with lower flow. I really hope they attach soon.

post-84447-0-36485400-1399344530_thumb.jpg

post-84447-0-39908000-1399344543_thumb.jpg

Archived