SaltCritters.com

Can Hydroids hybernate?

River_styx

River_styx

If you take a live rock and stick it out in the sun for weeks, is that enough to kill hydroids? Anyone know if the suckers can hibernate?

Ive killed hydroids by putting kalk paste over them. Worked really well when I removed the rocks from the tank for a few minutes then applied the paste. Today I tried applying the paste while the rocks were in the tank.

River_styx

Okay thanks. I didn't see any hydroids on the rocks, I'm just doing this just in case, since the rock is going into a seahorse tank.

River_styx

Damn. I wish all reef inhabitants were as hardy as hydroids. Well, the rock is sitting in boiling water outside, which I assume will kill just about anything (I've probably now jinxed it).

I wish that were true. Be careful with boiling water and reef rock, it can explode.

Damn. I wish all reef inhabitants were as hardy as hydroids. Well, the rock is sitting in boiling water outside, which I assume will kill just about anything (I've probably now jinxed it).

River_styx

Yeah, I've read that, which I think is a little odd. Now, the person who microwaved his live rock and had it explode I can understand.

The water in the rock is becoming hot and more active and trying to escape the tiny pores it's constrained to far too rapidly causing the rather fragile rock to give.

gulfsurfer101

I've seen dry rock explode from being exposed to heat before during a heat stress on some large piping. The moisture in the rock cannot escape fast enough and what you have is a mini grenade. I wish people never started using the word cook when it came to live rock as it can be very confusing and dangerous. I've noticed a patch here or there before and I usually just epoxy over them and glue a frag down. Problem solved.

Archived